Rodenstock and Schneider lenses

ncslaughter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have come across 2 lenses, a Schneider-Kreuznach Retina-Tele-Xenar f:4/135mm, and a Rodenstock Retina-Heligon f:1.9/50mm. The Schneider lense appears to be fairly common, but I am having trouble finding information on the Rodenstock. They both show signs of use, but appear to be in very good shape.

Can anyone point me the right direction to find more information about these lenses? We are not really camera people and would like to know what we have...

Thanks,

Chris

Hi,

You have lenses for a Kodak Retina camera. You'll want to determine the series for each lens. There are basically three variants. On the back of each lens are tabs that you can move that will open and close the aperture. Move the tab closest to the red dot and if two small red indicator arrows move in and out by the f/stop scale then you can rule out the last series which we'll can "instamatic." If the 135mm lens lacks the moving red indicators then the barrel will be black. Otherwise the barrel is chrome. The Heligon will be chrome.

If the lenses do not have the moving red indicator arrows and the 135mm has a black barrel then the lenses were specifically made for and sold with a Kodak Retina Instamatic.

If the lenses are chrome and have the moving red indicator arrows then on to the next step. Place them face down so you're looking at the backs. Find the red dot and set it to the 12 o'clock position. On the back the lens steps down in increasingly larger rings. You're looking for the middle level ring and at the 5 o'clock position you're looking for a slot about an inch long. Inside the slot you'll see brass and when you turn the focusing ring you'll see the brass through the slot move.

Presence of that slot means the lens is cammed for a Retina IIIs. The value of the lenses ranks like this:

Instamatic series least valuable.
Chrome with moving red indicator arrows next level of value up.
Cam present for the IIIs most valuable.

Kodak sold Retina Reflex (SLR) cameras, the Retina IIIs (rangefinder) and finally the Retina Instamatic during the 50s and 60s. The IIIs is the most valuable along with lenses cammed for it. In the US the camera's were sold with Schneider series lenses while in Europe they were sold with Rodenstock series lenses.

Most of the used Retina lenses are of little value your 135 Tele-Xenar being one of the least valuable as it's so common ($50.00 to $100.00 depending on series and condition). The Rodenstock lenses are much more valuable than the Schneider lenses and your 50mm f/1.9 Heligon could be worth a few hundred dollars. If it's in near mint condition with a IIIs cam there are Chinese collectors on ebay who could get into a bidding war and run it right up to near $500.00.

If you're actually interested in trying to use the lenses I can give you more info. I use a Retina Tele-Rotelar on my Canon 5D mkii.

Joe

Most reactions

Back