Rokkor Lens VS cheaper samsung lens for Minolta SRT

bazpaul

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, i'm still relatively new to film photography and have a question about lenses. My main work in done with my DSLR so im not so worried about high qualit.y with my old Minolta.

I have a Rokkor 50mm on it but would love some more zoom. I recently priced and Rokkor zoom lens for about $200, a bit out of my price range. The store clerk then suggested a Samsung alternative for about $50. Obviously the samsung is of inferior quality.

My question is; How noticeable in the difference in quality?? Will the samsung lens be less sharp? Is the difference the build quality? Since im simply an amatuer would the samsung suit my needs or would it just hinder your photography.

Thanks for the help guys, i would know this answers with lenses for DSLRS but not sure when it comes to film.

Minolta has made some excellent lenses and if you stick to fixed focals you can get some very cheap ones on ebay and such places. Older zooms were not the best lenses and I wouldn't get one. As for a zoom by Samsung, at $50, it can't be very good.

Here's a site that might be of interest to you: The Rokkor Files - Minolta Lens History

I would not automatically assume that the Samsung is inferior in performance to the older Rokkor lens. Seriously. Rokkor today means old stock, no longer manufactured.

ahh yeh great site...has loads of good info!!! yeh i think if you stick with Rokkor at least your guaranteed quality!!

Can i connect my Rokkor lens to my Canon 500d if i wish??? Can i just buy an adapter?? would the results be decent?? i presume theres no autofocus

Stick with Rokkors, they are superb lenses, but look for Rokkors MD, this version has the newest coatings. SAMSUNG ?!? Where this came from ? Samsung in SR mount ? And manual focus ? Something does not ad up. Anyway, Samsung is not making this lenses. Firsr Samsung (rebadged Pentax *ist) dslr was launched in 2006 with Pentax mount and Schneider-Kreuznach D-Xenon lens system . (Rebadged something else ?). The question is if it is a full frame lens (rather not) and the mount ? Check the sanity of the store clerk.
And here a lot of info on Rokkors:
The Rokkor Files
Good luck with your film photography.Are You going for B&W or colour ?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back