rollei 2.8C or E?

Rolleistef

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
I'd like to have the opinion of a Rollei user and connoisor for a difficult choice.
I'm thinking about replacing my Rollei 3.5T, and I've found two Rolleis that would suit me : a 2.8C with a Tessar and a 2.8E with a planar. What would you advise between these two cameras? I've found so much differents opinions about the Tessar and the Planar lenses! Some say that the Tessar is more contrasted, other that the Planar with its five lenses as better image quality and so on. Everybody knows the great battle between Planar fans and Tessar aficionados!
Thanks a lot, I hope sombody will be objectiv :mrgreen: enought.
stephane dennery

My Rolleiflex is a 3.5 E with the planar, but I also use a number of cameras with tessar lenses. Tessar lenses are good lenses, but there is no doubt in my mind that the planar is the better lens; it can match anything you'll find on a modern medium format camera. Anyone who says a tessar is a better lens than a planar has a thing for the underdog. It might be hard to tell the difference between 8x10 photos shot with the 2 lenses at f/11 or f/16, but at greater enlargements, and with the lenses opened up more there should be no problem telling them apart. Looking at cost alone typically a Rollei with planar will cost more than twice what a tessar equipped Rollei will go for; on Ebay 2.8C tessar Rolleis are going for $200 to $400 (the folks paying $400 for these cameras are not users, they are collectors), while 2.8E planar Rolleis are going for $400 to $800. Also there are numerous other brands of TLRs with tessar (or similar design) lenses that regularly go for under $200: Minolta, Yashica, etc...

I don't know all the specifics between the Rollei models, but I do know that the E and F models are considered superior to the models that came before, and are particularly desirable. I'm very happy with my E model.

2.8C tessar vs 2.8E planar? If money isn't an issue, go for the 2.8E planar. You won't be disappointed.

Adorama is well known store. I'm sure you could find many happy Adorama customers. I'm not one. I think their customer service stinks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back