Roller Derby Suggestions

JenKat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So here's the thing. My new D80 will be coming in the next couple days, and of course I'll be playing with it as soon as I get it in my hands...

Also, my brother's girlfriend wants me to take some photos of her Roller Derby team's practices. I have already, with my P&S. Problem is, the skating rink they practice in is pretty dim. Here's a couple pictures that didn't turn out completely blurry. (Sorry for poor quality, as I pulled these from Facebook, and had a hard time trying to get any kind of a quality picture).

dd.jpg

181657_10150090461826172_701441171_6470343_5077809_n.jpg

Since I know my p&s camera doesn't do well with darkness, I was playing around with the very limited manual control it would allow me. Flash didn't help most of the time, as they were too far away. Of course upping the ISO made them very grainy (as in the first one... well, both).

My question is this: When I get my D80 (and 18-55mm), what would you reccomend I try for settings? I could ask if I could get into the center of the ring so I'm closer and can use flash more effectively. (I don't have an ext flash yet, so I'd be limited to my on-camera.)

Since I am still learning how each of the settings affect each other, and how to change them to get proper exposure, I was considering starting with aperture priotiry, to help me capture the quick movement, and see what I come up with. What do you think?

If you want to capture their movement, aperture priority won't do the trick, as it will change the shutter speed (and probably make it too slow since it is dark.) So if you want to run that route, Shutter priority will be needed, probably set to 1/250 to 1/500. I don't think you could set it any faster if its that dark.
You'll have to bump up the ISO quite a bit as well as open the lens up wide. Even when I was shooting in a relatively well lit ice rink, I needed the ISO at 1600-3200 to get the job done.
Good luck!

Thanks! I actually meant shutter priority, and apparently didn't reread my post. Lol.

One end of the rink has more light, so I will try to shoot more on that end. These pictures don't have to be perfect, but of course I will try to get the best shots I can.

Next practice is Tues, so if I have my D80 by then, I'll post a few of what I get.

Thanks! I actually meant shutter priority, and apparently didn't reread my post. Lol.

One end of the rink has more light, so I will try to shoot more on that end. These pictures don't have to be perfect, but of course I will try to get the best shots I can.

Next practice is Tues, so if I have my D80 by then, I'll post a few of what I get.

Awesome! Congrats on the new camera! Good luck tuesday, looking forward to seeing them!

I shoot action sports (soccer) and I use aperture priority, not shutter priority.

Having a blurred background is very important to me. But, as JoshC. pointed out shutter speed is also a concern. So, I keep a close eye on the shutter speed to ensure it is fast enough to stop motion. Of course most of my shots are panning shots, as will most of yours. In that case, motion relative to the image sensor is much slower. As an added precaution relative to keeping the shutter speed up, I let the ISO float (auto), so you must keep an eye on that too.

Plus, if you use strobed light (flash), the short duration of the flash of light takes over from the shutter speed and stops the motion. All you have to do is make sure the strobed light is synced to the rear shutter curtain. (The flash sync speed for the D80 is 1/200.)

As an example, the Nikon SB-600 hot shoe flash has flash durations of

1/900 sec. at M 1/1 (full) output
1/1600 sec. at M 1/2 output
1/3400 sec. at M 1/4 output
1/6600 sec. at M 1/8 output
1/11100 sec. at M 1/16 output
1/20000 sec. at M 1/32 output

1/25000 sec. at M 1/64 output

I shoot action sports (soccer) and I use aperture priority, not shutter priority.

Having a blurred background is very important to me. But, as JoshC. pointed out shutter speed is also a concern. So, I keep a close eye on the shutter speed to ensure it is fast enough to stop motion. Of course most of my shots are panning shots, as will most of yours. In that case, motion relative to the image sensor is much slower. As an added precaution relative to keeping the shutter speed up, I let the ISO float (auto), so you must keep an eye on that too.

Plus, if you use strobed light (flash), the short duration of the flash of light takes over from the shutter speed and stops the motion. All you have to do is make sure the strobed light is synced to the rear shutter curtain. (The flash sync speed for the D80 is 1/200.)

As an example, the Nikon SB-600 hot shoe flash has flash durations of

1/900 sec. at M 1/1 (full) output
1/1600 sec. at M 1/2 output
1/3400 sec. at M 1/4 output
1/6600 sec. at M 1/8 output
1/11100 sec. at M 1/16 output
1/20000 sec. at M 1/32 output

1/25000 sec. at M 1/64 output

Thanks! I will try your advice.

I do not have a flash yet, other than what will be on my camera, but that is next on my list to buy.

In regards to flash, would it be better to bounce the flash so it's not so harsh on the girls? Or would that not give enough light on them? (When I get my sb-600)

Most reactions

Back