What's new

ROT and lots of negative space

Robin Usagani

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Jun 6, 2010
Messages
10,347
Reaction score
2,174
Location
Denver, CO
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What do you think? Which do you like better?

p650522921-4.jpg


p796308493-4.jpg
 
Somewhere between the two?..or a bit less sky , #1, as a 5:4. Or #2, 5:4 with some image cropped-out, left, right and bottom. I like the 'eelgrass', on the surface on the water, #2. No clear choice, IMO.


cheers,
 
If you go somewhere in the middle then no more rule of third.
 
for something like this i'd crop it so the ratio was something like 1:3 or 1:4 to give it that pano look.
 
I agree.. I tend to upload everything 3:2. I can crop it when someone buys prints.
 
I think I prefer the first as the structures (whatever that is) on the water (very clear, much in the foreground) in No. 2 take away from the boat, take away from the spaces, from the emptiness and the vastness you seem to have wanted to portray.
 
It seems you are more concerned with getting the horizon line on a thirds line, rather than the subject.

Have you tried thirding (I made that word up) the boat instead, and see how the horizon feels wherever it falls?


An issue I sense with this image, is that the top of the sail is almost touching the horizon line, and that feels awkward to me.
 
Good point bitter. Wish I was down low closer to water so I can maybe put the boat almost on the horizon. The beach around monterey CA however is very rocky so it is hard to get clear shot from down low. What corrina was saying is dead on. I am trying to potray the emptiness. Maybe I can photoshop more water on the top of the sail? :) I will try "thurding" the boat instead :)
 
Like the 1st one. Don't like the forefront water in the 2nd.
 
I prefer the first (more sky)... but can't say why. The eel grass adds an interesting texture to #2, but it does distract from the overall effect, I think. I agree with Bitter that having the tip of the mast at the horizon line takes away from the shot.. that was the first thing I noticed. Personally I feel that having some of the mast in the sky would be better, as it would tie the three main items (water, sky, and boat) together. Love the concept though, and they are nicely shot. Reminds of the shots of seagulls done for Jonathon Livingston Seagull, by Bach. Conveys that sense of vast empty space, loneliness, desolation even....
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom