Round 4 Entries "Environmental Portraits" - Due by October 22nd

darin3200

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
friedrichsphotography.com
Only 1 person will be eliminated in this round.

So far the topics have been ideas like communication and dissonance, and very straight-forward shots like food.

This round it will be a type of portrait.
From wikipedia
An environmental portrait is a portrait executed in the subject's usual environment, for example their home or workplace, and typically illuminates the subject's life and surroundings. The term is most frequently used of a genre of photography.

This would be the kind of portraits that you see in newspapers or magazines.

Contestants
jdunphy, midgetpatrol, and magicmonkey

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I hate to be a pain but is there any chance this could be extended until the 25th? I'm going to be away on the 22nd and it looks like the best chance I'll get at decent shot will be while I'm away.

not really, he's being held back by his arm being in a sling, if he's got his arm in a sling between the 22nd and 25th then he's still got until the 22nd to do it, unless I missed something there (which is quite likely, been a busy day) :)

Thought he said a "month from now", which I thought meant November. I just wanted to give him a shot at participating in the final round.

ahhh, I thought this was the final one! like I say, long day. I'll try and pull something together for the 22nd :)

magicmonkey said:
ahhh, I thought this was the final one! like I say, long day. I'll try and pull something together for the 22nd :)
Don't NOT extend the deadline on account of me. I'll just get to be very good friends with my tripod. ;)

If it needs to be the 25th, it needs to be the 25th. My surgery is scheduled for the 16 at the moment, anyway, so it really doesn't matter. :wink:

Must an environmental portrait be of people and does the person need to be recognizable?

midget patrol said:
Must an environmental portrait be of people and does the person need to be recognizable?

typically (under the definition), yes. that doesnt mean they HAVE to, though. if your image is very good, then it wont matter and might add to the creativity. if it's not good, it will hurt your score since you used that as the main point of the photo and not as an enhancement. does that make sense?

i'm speaking for myself, not the other judges, so my answer might be completely wrong :)

Travelamy said:
do we email the photos or? how big etc.?

sorry travelamy, this is a week-by-week elimination type contest. only jdunphy, midgetpatrol, and magicmonkey are allowed to submit photos. we might do this contest again though, so maybe next time!

be sure to check out our monthly contest if you want to join one now:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60742

Most reactions

New Topics

Back