Sad eyes..

DRodgers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I really tried to keep the essence of the sorrow in her eyes , how did I do?

sadeyes.jpg

Shot in digital and converted to B&W

as always thanks for looking..

DRodgers - I think if you just wanted to capture the sorrow in her eyes, a different composition would help emphasize that. As it is now, her sorrow is captured in her eyes, mouth, and posture. I also think the image lacks contrast, and there is just too much gray. I edited your photo in an attempt to better illustrate my opinion. The vignetting helps direct your eyes to the statue. The color helps to keep you from noticing all the gray. Ignore that fact that it is greenish, as the color choice is insignificant. Just my opinion, take it all with a grain of salt.

sadeyes-1.jpg

I feel like the edit makes the idea of 'sorrow' wander away from the eyes because you can no longer see the pupils of the statue. I noticed the sadness conveyed before I even read that it was your objective. I think it's the shadows which carry it. If you want the vignetting, I can see this being a perfect candidate for a holga/diana shot. Good work though, you captured what you were looking for, imo. :)

DRodgers - I think if you just wanted to capture the sorrow in her eyes, a different composition would help emphasize that. As it is now, her sorrow is captured in her eyes, mouth, and posture. I also think the image lacks contrast, and there is just too much gray. I edited your photo in an attempt to better illustrate my opinion. The vignetting helps direct your eyes to the statue. The color helps to keep you from noticing all the gray. Ignore that fact that it is greenish, as the color choice is insignificant. Just my opinion, take it all with a grain of salt.

Thanks for the imput I like your treatment looks like midnight sepia by Dave but it does take away from the eyes with the shadows, but i took your advice and added a bit more contrast and increased the background shadow
sadeyescopy.jpg

Maybe a tighter crop would bring more emphasis on her eyes.
crop the top tighter to her head (dropping her eyes on a horizontal third) and crop in slight on the right (to drop her eyes on the vertical third) :)

Personal thoughts of course.
I like your second edit better, i think the first was a little flat.

Maybe a tighter crop would bring more emphasis on her eyes.
crop the top tighter to her head (dropping her eyes on a horizontal third) and crop in slight on the right (to drop her eyes on the vertical third) :)

Personal thoughts of course.
I like your second edit better, i think the first was a little flat.

Oh Thats a great idea I never remember the rule of thirds when processing Thanks !!
I cant get around the small grids on photoshop though is there a way to increase the grid size?
sadeyescopy-1.jpg

edit>preferences>Guides, grids and slices. and alter the one that says "grid line every:" :)

I personally use the ruler tool and drag my thirds in using that if I need a guide. :)

Most reactions

Back