Sailboat on the Hudson

The dynamic range is severely limited and really unpleasantly grey.
The subject is in dead center, not usually a good place and it looks way OOF.
I get nothing much from this photo about why you thought the situation was interesting to capture..

they're fleeing to Long Island?

that's the Hudson.
The higher probability is that they are fleeing New Jersey.

(that is actually an unfair canard, much of NJ is quite beautiful, just not the parts you can see from the NJ Turnpike.)

The_Traveler said:
The dynamic range is severely limited and really unpleasantly grey.
The subject is in dead center, not usually a good place and it looks way OOF.
I get nothing much from this photo about why you thought the situation was interesting to capture..

I thought the movement of the boat was visually interesting. Oh well. I'll keep at it. Thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

I thought the movement of the boat was visually interesting.

There is no obvious hints of motion to be seen, the boat isn't heeled, there is no wake, the sails are furled, the crew is standing upright. Any viewer needs the hints.

Going a little darker would help, this is clearly an evening shot, and you should show that, I think. It feels a little like evening, fiddle until it feels a lot like evening. Remember, viewers were not there -- you remember the scene, so you "see" the photograph the way it was. We need to be hit harder over the head to get that same sensation.

The boat seems out of focus, or blurred by camera shake? Or is that the motion of the boat you were referring to?

I like the scene. When I see it, I get a sense of relaxation and calm, the sailors are all clearly relaxing and having a soothing evening motoring home from some sailing. Also, holy CRAP are there a LOT OF PEOPLE on that boat. They're probably in violation of several laws (too many people aboard, which usually means not enough life jackets aboard and, all too often, the helmsman is a little too drunk).

Most reactions

Back