Sailplane contest airplane launch (RC)

aerialphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'd been wanting to try to achieve this pseudo multiple exposure effect for a while, finally had the chance a few weeks ago. I've seen it done before but really no idea how - so gave it a shot and made it work.

The gliders are launched using a bungee system made with 50ft of rubber tubing and a little over 300ft of non-stretchable line (we use a heavy monofilament fishing line). A tow hook is mounted under the fuselage at a point that lets the airplane go up like a kite rather than catapult forward. Hard to convey in still photography, thus one of the reasons for the picture.

Click to enlarge...

Multiple images with a Nikon D800 & Nikkor 16-35/f4

Cool image(s). Shows the very steep climb angle.

That is a very cool shot!

It brought back memories of college, there were several guys with RC planes and gliders and you reminded me of the glider-bungee-launch system they also used.

That is a very cool shot!

It brought back memories of college, there were several guys with RC planes and gliders and you reminded me of the glider-bungee-launch system they also used.

Thanks!

The bungee "hi-start" stuff kind of died off with electrically driven winches becoming more popular, especially for contesting (there's no chasing the parachute and end of the line, etc) plus the advent of efficient lightweight electric motors really changed gliding, eliminating the launching completely.

A few years ago the idea of bringing back relatively inexpensive, relatively small gliders caught traction in Europe. The rules they came up with brings us back to the 6ft gliders launched with surgical tubing bungees like we did in the 80s. In some areas this format is popular, especially for contests. We usually have 5-6 launches simultaneously.

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back