Samsung EX2 vs Canon s100 (or, feedback from anyone with an EX2)

JClishe

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I carry a P&S for my walkaround / travel camera for when I don't want to lug the dSLR. The vast majority of images I shoot with the P&S are indoor and low light, as I usually carry it when I'm out for the evening with friends and family, traveling for work, etc. So the most important factors I look for in a P&S are low light performance, shoots RAW so I can clean it up even more, full manual control, and size (must fit in my jeans pocket).

I'm a big fan of Canon's sxxx line, I currently have the s100 and have previously owned the s90 and s95. They do just what I need them to do.

However I'm becoming interested in the Samsung EX2. It meets all of the criteria I need in a P&S but most interestingly, it's an f/1.4 so faster than my s100 and theoretically should perform better in low light (my primary use case). It also has an articulating screen which I'd find handy, and a hotshoe - which I'm not sure if I'd use, but hey, it's there. The drawback is that it's a little larger than the s100 but I think it should still be pocketable. The EX2 also has a shorter effective max focal length but I looked at the EXIF data from all my sxx shots and the vast majority are wide.

Big unknown is IQ. So by any chance has anyone tested an EX2 side by side with s100 and have any thoughts around how they stack up? I'd be happy with any feedback from any EX2 owners, whether or not you've used an s100. Adorama has them for $100 off right now with free shipping, I'm close to pulling the trigger.

Thanks

I've gone through a number of compacts over the years for similar reasons. I wanted a camera that would be there with me all the time. I went through about 1/2 dozen P&S cameras that always managed to pull me up short and so about two years ago I went on a serious search for a camera that met these criteria:

1. 24mm (35mm equivalence) on the wide end.
2. Raw capture.
3. Full control of the camera.

I found the Samsung TL350 (WB2000) and bought one. It was defective and I went through 90 days of Samsung service hell until I sat down and dug up the emails of some execs at their Ridgeway NJ center. I scored with and email, got and apology and was sent an EX1 as a consolation prize. I had initially dismissed the EX1 as too big (lens did't retract). I was frankly stunned by the image quality. At base ISO I'd frankly rank the EX1 above most entry level DSLRs with their kit lenses. The Schneider lens kicked butt.

When my EX1 was stolen I ordered a new the day after without giving it a 2nd thought. So I spent about 2.5 years very satisfied with that camera. If you do a TPF search on my username 90% of the photos you'll find were taken with the EX1.

I got my new EX2 about 3 weeks ago and just shot exposure number 154. It is in every way an incremental improvement over the EX1. The articulated AMOLED screen is spectacular and can cause iPhone users to pee their pants in envy. The Schneider zoom lens is magnificent. It's still 24mm (35mm equiv.) on the wide end which is my requirement and it still smacks down the kit lens on any entry level DSLR. The camera is still bigger than I'd like but since the IQ is so good I can live with it. It fits a jacket pocket OK but not quite a shirt pocket.

It saves raw files and provides full control of all functions including focus.

The only competitors right now are the LX7 and the Rx100. The Rx100 should have better IQ for the larger sensor but the lens is 28mm (35mm equiv.) and the price is nearly double.

You can see example photos at full res from my EX2 here: EX1 vs EX2...........?: Samsung Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review in the Samsung thread at DPreview.

Here's a photo I took yesterday with the ISO at 200.

Joe

Attachments

• $ornamental_pear.jpg
    $ornamental_pear.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 151

Most reactions

Back