San Clemente pier at night. Critique welcome.

MikeFlorendo

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took these last night after a nice dinner with my wife. Critiques always appreciated.

Thanks for looking-

5 sec, f2.8, iso 100 at 11mm

1-

$San_Clemente_pier_endWM (1 of 1).jpg

2-

$San_Clemente_pier_end2WM (1 of 1).jpg

3-

$San_Clemente_pier_end4WM (1 of 1).jpg

Attachments

• $San_Clemente_pier_end1WM (1 of 1).jpg
    $San_Clemente_pier_end1WM (1 of 1).jpg
    771.7 KB · Views: 169
Hi, Mike. I'm pretty sure there was a picture here someplace, given the romantic lighting and empty pier, but frankly I am not seeing a primary subject. The panoramas look nice as they are, but the feeling of being there does not come through the photograph.

As a suggestion; go back there with your wife and use the pier light to make an informal portrait, making sure to light her face well, (think reflector) with no weird shadows, and forget about the background. The background is there, but not the subject, if you know what I mean.

Hi, Mike. I'm pretty sure there was a picture here someplace, given the romantic lighting and empty pier, but frankly I am not seeing a primary subject. The panoramas look nice as they are, but the feeling of being there does not come through the photograph.

As a suggestion; go back there with your wife and use the pier light to make an informal portrait, making sure to light her face well, (think reflector) with no weird shadows, and forget about the background. The background is there, but not the subject, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for posting Designer. I'll give that a try but I think I will use a couple kissing or hugging under the light or walking holding hands. I do like the empty shot though. I was trying to make the pier with the lines as the subject leading the eye into the background but perhaps it doesn't translate that way.

There is a lot about landscape that does not translate though photography.

Have to look at this one when I wake up later. I am just marking it so this post doesn't get lost later.
Mike ... I like #1. It looks like a beautiful place. I like the scenario -- it just lacks another element: human. You should have asked your wife to pose looking towards the horizon or the scene so it will have a story. But nevertheless it is a beautiful scene, nicely taken.

I did not see Designer's response. Sorry.

Last edited:
Have to look at this one when I wake up later. I am just marking it so this post doesn't get lost later.
Mike ... I like #1. It looks like a beautiful place. I like the scenario -- it just lacks another element: human. You should have asked your wife to pose looking towards the horizon or the scene so it will have a story. But nevertheless it is a beautiful scene, nicely taken.

I did not see Designer's response. Sorry.

Yeah I can see that now. I live 10 minutes away so I can try it again. Thanks for posting-

I was trying to make the pier with the lines as the subject leading the eye into the background but perhaps it doesn't translate that way.
It works for me, I love #1. True, having a silhouette somewhere on the pier would definitely add something and your pocture would tell a whole different story. However I also like it as it is. There's a sort of quietness and silence that translates through this picture. You can really feel the solitude there, almost like you're the only one on this side of the pier, everybody else is on the other side, far away in the houses.

I was trying to make the pier with the lines as the subject leading the eye into the background but perhaps it doesn't translate that way.
It works for me, I love #1. True, having a silhouette somewhere on the pier would definitely add something and your pocture would tell a whole different story. However I also like it as it is. There's a sort of quietness and silence that translates through this picture. You can really feel the solitude there, almost like you're the only one on this side of the pier, everybody else is on the other side, far away in the houses.

That's funny because that is what I always think of when I see cityscapes. I wonder about all those people far away and that each house light represents a person, family and or friends. So much going on at once and so many different scenarios. The possibilities intrigue me and I start imaging all types of scenes. Thanks for postings Virginie.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back