Sandhill Cranes

Cortian

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Had just started the Jeep to head for my workout when I saw "our" local sandhill cranes across the street. Shut off the engine, got out, rushed inside, grabbed the camera, quickly swapped the 17-85mm lens for the 100-300 and headed out the door.

Checked my light and quickly ran the ISO down to 100. Little voice at the back of my head was screaming "200!," but I ignored it. I should have listened to it, what with the lens being non-IS/VR :BangHead:

Nonetheless: I did get a few shots worth keeping.

IMG_2413.JPG

IMG_2416.JPG

IMG_2420.JPG

IMG_2430.JPG

IMG_2442.JPG

IMG_2451.JPG

Numbers 1 and 4 are my personal favourites. #1 because it's probably the cleanest of the bunch and #4 for the composition.

It's too bad about #3. I hit it with a bit of unsharp mask in post to improve it, but it's still not wonderful. Couldn't bear to toss it, though, imperfect though it may be. If I'd been a bit quicker on the trigger, I'd have caught that one while he was still briefly airborne, too. The other lesson learned: Can't nap ;)

I don't like #5 all that well, but, it being one of only six that were worth keeping out of the forty shots taken...

Those probably came off my golf course. Nice shots.

Thanks, jcdb!

Probably not your sandhill cranes. These guys hang around here all winter because several of the neighbours, thinking they're doing the birds a favour, feed them. (N.B. to readers in northern climes: Please do not feed the sandhill cranes come fall. Encouraging them to stay the winter can be a death sentence for them. Yes: They are Very Cool. But if you truly love them you'll let them go.)

Now you know that you have more time than you think. So after grabbing a couple/few quick shots (in case these birds get energetic and decide to go somewhere, you've at least got something) then you've got time to go for quality instead of quantity. I learned that shooting sports/hockey. Try counting say, 3 seconds and see how long that is. Of course it takes practice to be able to frame shots efficiently. If there was time to take 40 pictures then next time you know you don't need to do so much firing off shots.

We have that in places near where I live, where they've put in man made ponds that attract birds that otherwise wouldn't be here. It's unfortunate people don't realize they mean to help but might do better to let nature take care of it (if the birds didn't get food in an unnatural habitat they might move on someplace better for them). Glad you're aware of that and don't add to the feeding.

Thanks for the guidance, Sharon the Other :)

In this case, in particular, you're certainly correct, as these birds are used to people. You could see them watching me, but, once they got to where they were going, which was near the water, they were content to do just that.

Next time I expect I'll do better for several reasons: 1. I'll be wiser in my ISO selection, 2. I'll keep a closer eye what the birds are doing, 3. I'll be more studied in my subsequent shots and, last, but not least, 4. I'll probably have that 70-300mm DO IS USM lens :)

Thanks for sharing, now I know what these annoying birds are. They make a terrible racket outside my window most mornings, and they have no fear of humans. I guess people feeding them, have not only made them dependent they can be down right demanding.

Thanks, jcdb!

Probably not your sandhill cranes. These guys hang around here all winter because several of the neighbours, thinking they're doing the birds a favour, feed them. (N.B. to readers in northern climes: Please do not feed the sandhill cranes come fall. Encouraging them to stay the winter can be a death sentence for them. Yes: They are Very Cool. But if you truly love them you'll let them go.)

We had a few hang out here last year but none this year. They seem to like the mulberry tree fruit, nuts that fall from the trees, frogs, and worms big time.

Most reactions

Back