Saved some photos from the trash compactor today ...

bc_steve

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.stevedinicol.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm making myself a book with the photos from my trip to Myanmar, Bangladesh and India from last winter and I figured I'd have a look through my RAW files. It is kinda nice to have a look at things again after 6 months.

Myanmar

Children on the Trek by Steve Dinicol, on Flickr

tree by Steve Dinicol, on Flickr

Morning Smoke by Steve Dinicol, on Flickr

A Nun by Steve Dinicol, on Flickr

Fishing on Inle Lake by Steve Dinicol, on Flickr

Bagan at Sunset by Steve Dinicol, on Flickr

Bangladesh

Ferry in Dhaka by Steve Dinicol, on Flickr

Lal Bagh Fort in Dhaka by Steve Dinicol, on Flickr

Pulling in the Nets in the Sundarbans by Steve Dinicol, on Flickr

Spotted Deer in the Sundarbans by Steve Dinicol, on Flickr

A couple of kids in Srimangol by Steve Dinicol, on Flickr

India

Church in Meghalaya by Steve Dinicol, on Flickr

I'm kind of sorry that you didn't post some of these in separate threads because they deserve more attention then they could get this way...

All photos (with the exception of the lady in the market and yes, this is jmo) are good and I like them very much.
#2 is just beautiful
#3 I would crop a bit differently

I think I remember those children, but I might be wrong... Did you posted different pictures of them some time ago? The fisherman's also?

#7 #8 stand out for me. I'm curious what is the original crop of #8

yeah... good photos and glad I saw them :)

Last edited:
I'm kind of sorry that you didn't some of these in separate threads because they deserve more attention then they could get this way...

All photos (with the exception of the lady in the market and yes, this is jmo) are good and I like them very much.
#2 is just beautiful

I think I remember those children, but I might be wrong... Did you posted different pictures of them some time ago? The fisherman's also?

yeah... good photos and glad I saw them :)

Yes maybe I should have split them, but sometimes it feels like I'd be hogging the forum doing that!

As far as the lady in the market goes, I definitely appreciate the honesty. I find her interesting, which is why I included the photo but the light is not very good.

What would you crop differently on #3? It is cropped so I do have more picture to work with. I think I may have been trying to remove distractions though.

I didn't post those children or that fisherman but I had other similar photos with different people...

I'll post the uncropped #8 when I get back to my computer. I cropped it the way I did because the people looked too small and I liked the solid colours as opposed to some of the city buildings in the background of the original. It did end up cutting out some nice architecture though.

These are quite nice.

here it is mmaria

DSC_6519uncrop.jpg

I'm kind of sorry that you didn't post some of these in separate threads because they deserve more attention then they could get this way...
Yes maybe I should have split them, but sometimes it feels like I'd be hogging the forum doing that!
Next time please split them in separate threads, they need that!
As far as the lady in the market goes, I definitely appreciate the honesty. I find her interesting, which is why I included the photo but the light is not very good.
The lady is very interesting, but I just think that you didn't compose the picture well. More honesty - sorry

What would you crop differently on #3? It is cropped so I do have more picture to work with. I think I may have been trying to remove distractions though.
At first I thought I would crop a bit more from the upper right corner to make him more prominent because he has an interesting face and I wouldn't leave that space behind him... On the other hand if you do that then his eyes will bee also more prominent and they don't have any light in them... so... that wouldn't be good...
You said you have more picture to work with, then give him more of his surrounding, more of the context. I like that blue shirt or what is it behind him hanging on the door and I really hope you have more of "the picture" in front of him to make all of that works.

I didn't post those children or that fisherman but I had other similar photos with different people...
I just went to your flickr and found the pictures I was thinking of this one, and this one

I visited your flickr earlier because of the "owl and you" photo but I didn't really look around enough to notice that you have some amazing photos there! :thumbyo:

I'll post the uncropped #8 when I get back to my computer. I cropped it the way I did because the people looked too small and I liked the solid colours as opposed to some of the city buildings in the background of the original. It did end up cutting out some nice architecture though.
After the original, yes, I would crop also it but just a bit differently...

You didn't ask for this but just a small observation, if you don't mind....
Seeing your photographs I've noticed that you have tendencies to crop pictures in some "nonstandard" ways. Sorry I don't have a better word and I'm primarily thinking about "people and their surrounding" shots here (well, the Bambi shot can also be mentioned here :)) That shows (to me of course since this is jmo) that you're more comfortable in your photography when is about nature than people.

If I explain more I'm afraid I'll be hogging this thread ;)

Last edited:
First off, never apologize for being honest. I'll take that over a pat on the back anyday! And besides, I'm not too attached to that picture anyways.

I've probably shot more nature/wildlife stuff than people so you're probably right about that. At home I end up shooting more landscapes and animals but when I travel I find the people a lot more interesting.

Never realized I cropped/composed pictures differently than everyone else though. I'm a little curious about that now...

Some nice photos, Steve! I agree with your statement that it is nice to look back after say, six months, and to see if there might be some frames that were initially overlooked. It's always been my experience that editing/culling too close to the shoot means that the feelings and emotions present at the time of the shoot often interferes with the best evaluation of the PHOTOS that were actually made. The excitement factor of the shoot often clouds or colors or influences my judgement.

Those are wonderful photos!

Some nice photos, Steve! I agree with your statement that it is nice to look back after say, six months, and to see if there might be some frames that were initially overlooked. It's always been my experience that editing/culling too close to the shoot means that the feelings and emotions present at the time of the shoot often interferes with the best evaluation of the PHOTOS that were actually made. The excitement factor of the shoot often clouds or colors or influences my judgement.

especially when you have the image in your head, and when you stick your card into the computer that's not what you see ... but after enough time you've forgotten what you had in mind way back when and you can appreciate your picture without thinking about all that. And it's a good thing to do when, for whatever reason, you're not shooting as much as you'd like

Those are wonderful photos!

Thank you :)

Most reactions

Back