Say cheese....

dcbear78

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.crewonephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What do you all do when photographing groups of people to let them know you are now taking photos? I'm assuming people who do this for a living don't do the, "say cheese," thing?

I mostly shoot models or family portraits that are generally one on one so don't have this issue.

But occasionally I do some corporate work, functions or the group photos at a wedding where I'm unsure what to do. Right now I just do nothing and take 3 or 4 shots hoping one is good. But I feel I should be communicating something to my subjects so they are fully aware I am about to take a photo.

What's the secret of getting their attention, while keeping everyone looking natural and not sounding like a tool?

I don't think it's a secret. Just use your communication skills.

I don't think it's a secret. Just use your communication skills.
Agreed; this is one reason the pre-shoot consult is soooo important. You get a chance to actually meet the people and gain a sense of 'them' and how best to deal with them. Often I find that telling people not to smile, or to look angry works well, because the ridiculousness of what I'm saying makes them smile and laugh, but in the end, every client is different and what works for one may not for another.

Yeah... More talking event photography where you are photographing people who most likely are not clients. The silence and my just putting my camera up to my face can often seem unusual, like people are expecting a "cheeeese."

There is nothing people do to focus attention on yourselves when taking a photo in this situation?

I found over the years that if you know something about the group you could have them all say something common to the group. Real Estate folks will say SOLD!! at the drop of a hat. Cops do well with "DO IT NOW!"
Best of all when they say what you asked them to say they will almost always look right at you as they say it.

Yeah... More talking event photography where you are photographing people who most likely are not clients. The silence and my just putting my camera up to my face can often seem unusual, like people are expecting a "cheeeese."

There is nothing people do to focus attention on yourselves when taking a photo in this situation?
Engage the group. When I'm dealing with event groups, I talk to the whole group, and to individuals. "Okay folks, this is what we're going to do, tallest at the back... etc, etc... Mr Jones, move this way, Mrs Smith, would you please stand on your head?...." By talking to both the group and individuals, everyone feels engaged, and by throwing some silly stuff along with the serious direciton, it tends to help relax the crowd and get you a better shot.

If all you do is stand there, hold your camera up to your face and click, you're going to get less than desirable results. I was recently on the 'other end' of a group shot, and the photographer gave no direction. No one knew when he was actually shooting, and people were looking all around. He took (I think) three shots of a group of ~50ish; IMO, not nearly enough to be able to produce a good group image.

You need to verbally state the desired posing and expression for each type of group shot. Meaning literally, stating, "Okay, for this shot we want all eyes directed off to the right, about 30 degrees, looking at the new product. No smiles, just a look of awe and reverence for the new Bling-bang 300 Sport Model," or whatever is needed. There are ALWAYS one or two people who have that awful, socially crippling picture face, which was drummed into them from childhood through adolescence. I have a couple of Facebook friends who suffer from this...they exhibit the SAME, exact, identical big, toothy smile in each and EVERY SHOT they are in. One of them to the extent that she gets occasional flack about it on-line. Those people are a PITA to work with, and must be reminded that NO, not every single shot needs to look like a toothpaste ad's closing blurb, where a little CG twinkle sparkles off of their incisor.

You should start with the easier more-serious, more-calm looks, and shoot a good number of exposures, at least four or five per idea with a small group. The larger the group, the more likely some bonehead will spoil the shot. Tell the group, "we will shoot five exposures of each expression," or whatever. Shoot almost as fast as the strobes can recycle. You need to reflect the attitude/vibe you want to show in the photo--you cannot be gregarious and clowny while taking a serious or introspective type shot--that doesn' make sense. When you mocve from serious to m ore lighthearted, state that loudly and clearly, and tell them to shift their expressions, and describe what it is you want their faces and postures to convey. POSE them, direct them, lead them, by telling them what the desired "look" is.

You need to describe eye-direction, and eye-focus...you do not want outliers, staring off at the horizon line and 30-40 degrees off of the desired line of gaze--that looks odd.

There are ALWAYS one or two people who have that awful, socially crippling picture face, which was drummed into them from childhood through adolescence.
Yessir! My DIL has trained her children to do that, and I used to hate it, but frankly, at least they are trained to look at the camera and show some teeth. Could be worse.

Then the eldest, now 11-1/2 years old has learned how far she can "push it" and still avoid the wooden spoon. So now I've got one of my favorite photographs of the children with her in an absolutely "incorrect" pose while the others are on their best behavior.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back