SB-600 focus light

jeph

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a D 5000 and I just bought an SB-600 speedlight. I am under the impression that there is some sort of red light that will turn on to help the camera focus in low light. I have attempted in medium, low, and dark and have not been able to get the thing to turn on. I half depress the shutter button and the focus will cycle all the way through. Have I got a bad copy? Is there a setting that I need to change? Are my test lighting conditions not acceptable? Is the SB-600 not compatable with the D5000 in this capacity?

The flash works great and I am having great fun bouncing it off of anything that I can find, I just don't know how to use all that I bought.

Thanks

You'll have to check your manual, but I don't think the D5000 has the Commander Mode, which is needed to have wireless off-camera flash out of the box. There are other triggers for wireless flash that have been discussed ad naseum. Search TPF for radio poppers, cactus, cybersynch & pocket wizards.

You'll have to check your manual, but I don't think the D5000 has the Commander Mode, which is needed to have wireless off-camera flash out of the box. There are other triggers for wireless flash that have been discussed ad naseum. Search TPF for radio poppers, cactus, cybersynch & pocket wizards.

Not looking for an off camera flash or trigger. It sounds like, from reading the manuel, that in a low light condition a red light will come on. That light is supposed to provide enough illumination for the camera to find focus. I can't make that light... light.

Sorry, I misunderstood. What I think you are refering to is the AF-Assist Illuminator.

Yes, by default it should be on, but can be turned off. Make sure it's not turned off. Reading my manual (for a different Nikon body) it says that it only works with A)single servo autofocus is selected for focus mode or B)auto-area is chosen for AF-area mode or single-point or dynamic-area is chosen and the center focus point is selected.

Oh, I didn't think to adjust the auto focus mode. I will try that, thanks!

Update: Put the camera on auto mode and the AF assist iluminator turned on just as planned. Thanks!

I really like how we have our own little thread here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back