What's new

SB-800 not firing correctly part 2.

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
1,888
Reaction score
11
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok guys I had a previous thread on this, but i wanted to see if someone can tell me the answer... either I need an entirely new Flash Unit, or maybe just need to invest in better batteries.

FOR THIS TEST I was using Energizer Rechargeables, and they were used DAYS AFTER being charged... however I did make sure that each time I waited for the red-light indicator that the flash was ready, and even a little bit of time extra.

This is the order that the D90 took these pictures. They were all shot at 1/60th of a second at f/2.0. More importantly they ALL say that the flash was fired.

FIRST:
DSC_0523.JPG


SECOND:
DSC_0524.JPG


THIRD:
DSC_0525.JPG


What can I attribute this to?

Bad batteries?
Bad flash?
Camera issue?
 
Do you have AUTO-BRACKETING on? And set to a fairly wide range? 'Cause that's what it looks like by eye: the EXIF info in your photos is stripped.
 
No, unless somewhere it's happening when the flash is on. I can take a series of non-flash pictures that expose exactly the same.
 
I would try the standard two-button re-set, to get all the settings back to the out of box, default settings. Modern d-slr cameras have sooooooo many custom functions and stuff...I think the camera is set to a bracketing mode. To do a two-button res-et, press the two buttons that have the small, green dots next to them, simultaneously, and hold them in for a few seconds. THe specific controls vary from camera to camera. I found this article on ikon Europe's web site, detailing which two buttons are the re-set ones, based on camera model. On the D90, it states that the +/- Exposure Compensation button and the AF Mode Button are the two buttons you need to press to re-set the camera to default.

How to reset a D-SLR to factory default settings
 
Have to agree with Derrel - looks like about a two stop bracket two me. If you take a second set of three images do they expose the same way? (Correctly, over, under)
 
How much time between each shutter release?

Are you using the SB-800's 5th battery attachment?
 
No, it is DEFINETLY NOT bracketing; I used it again today and I got one correct image out of 9, if I was lucky. They were all UNDER exposed though, none were over-bright like the one above.

I reset both the camera AND the flash before use and I was using freshly charged batteries; so either the batteries are bad or the flash is :(

Time between pictures ranges from a few seconds to almost a full minute, and yes I am using the 5th battery.
 
Ok, you're using Energizer Rechargeable batteries.

What kind NiCd? NiMH? Lithium? Alkaline? (determines how fast the SB-800 can recycle, page 121 in the SB-800 users manual).

Can you meter the battery voltages to verify the viability of the batteries you are using?

But, it's beginning to sound like your SB-800 may need repair.
 
Thanks for the help. I can't meter, so I am gonna buy some new batteries and try them, but, yea I am thinking... repair time :(
 
This might sound silly, but I've had problems happen to me with SB-800 and D200, which turned out to be that the flash was not properly attached to the hot shoe. You might want to check that the flash is fully inserted into the hot-shoe and that it is locked down properly.

Failing that, try the flash on another camera and try another flash on your camera - your local camera shop or a friend might be able to help out with that if you have just the one unit.

I doubt that it's the batteries.

Not much to go on I know, but hope it helps.

Nigel
 
Tahnks Nigel. I thought this too, as this SAME flash had some weird issues on my D50; it would randomly fire, and the issue was not being snug on the hot shoe. A piece of paper fixed that.

This issue happens seemingly MORE often when I am using the flash off-camera.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom