SB600 Wireless Capabilities?

mcoppadge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm still learning the ins and outs of some of my equipment. I'm confused about how the wireless capabilities work for my Nikon SB600. Can I wirelessly link my D300 to my SB600 or can I only link the SB600 with other compatible flashes?

Yes.

For starters, look and begin reading on pages 294 and 357 of your D300 manual and pages 52 and 55 of your SB600 manual. While you're at it, why not read the manuals in their entirety?

If you still are confused, bump this thread.

Yes.

For starters, look and begin reading on pages 294 and 357 of your D300 manual and pages 52 and 55 of your SB600 manual. While you're at it, why not read the manuals in their entirety?

Really? As far as I understand you can only sync the SB600 wirelessly as a slave with a higher model (at least SB800) as a master.

The Nikon CLS will work with any camera body that has the Commander mode. It will work with the SB600/800/900. You can either use the built-in flash to trigger the off camera flashes or use the SB800/SU800 as the Commander for additional options.

As I read the OPs question, I understood it to be whether the SB600 can be used wirelessly with the D300. The answer is YES. The SB600 is a slave, but commanded by the built-in flash. The built-in flash can be set to pre-flash only, which will only trigger the SB600 and not contribute light to the scene.

That's why I made reference to the manuals.

Yes.

Really? As far as I understand you can only sync the SB600 wirelessly as a slave with a higher model (at least SB800) as a master.

I have already read both manuals through in their entirety. I came to the same understanding as MelodySoul. Thanks for clearing that up. I'll fiddle around with it tonight and see what I can make of it.

Camera:
Go to Custom Setting Menu > e3 sub-menu > Commander mode > set built-in flash to (--) for pre-flash.

Flash:
Press and hold the Zoom and (-) buttons simultaneuosly for about 3 seconds. Set the squiggly line to On (toggle with the Mode button). Hold and press Zoom and (-) buttons again to return.

This sets you up for off camera shooting. Make sure you have the Groups and Channels set the same for both camera and flash. Pop up your flash, fire off a shot and Bob's your uncle.

In the beginning, I think you'll probably want to set for TTL flash. Later expand to Manual settings.

Camera:
Go to Custom Setting Menu > e3 sub-menu > Commander mode > set built-in flash to (--) for pre-flash.

Flash:
Press and hold the Zoom and (-) buttons simultaneuosly for about 3 seconds. Set the squiggly line to On (toggle with the Mode button). Hold and press Zoom and (-) buttons again to return.

This sets you up for off camera shooting. Make sure you have the Groups and Channels set the same for both camera and flash. Pop up your flash, fire off a shot and Bob's your uncle.

In the beginning, I think you'll probably want to set for TTL flash. Later expand to Manual settings.

Couple of notes on this. First (minor but convenient), once you are in the menu to enable the wireless on the flash....you can just press the power button instead of zoom and (-) to get back out of the menu.....doing this will exit the menu without waiting for 3 seconds.

Second, to my knowledge, with the SB-600 wireless all you can do is TTL. I have never been able to find a way to kick it into manual mode when in wireless mode.

Second, to my knowledge, with the SB-600 wireless all you can do is TTL. I have never been able to find a way to kick it into manual mode when in wireless mode.
You set the Group A or B Mode to "M" and Comp can be adjusted between 1/1 to 1/128 in the Commander menu in camera. I find it useful with multiple flashes having the SB600 as a kicker/hairlight/rimlight with reduced output.

Another tip is to add the Commander mode to My Menu. I can't remember off-hand if the D300 allows you to set your Function button for quicker access, the D700 does allow.

You set the Group A or B Mode to "M" and Comp can be adjusted between 1/1 to 1/128 in the Commander menu in camera. I find it useful with multiple flashes having the SB600 as a kicker/hairlight/rimlight with reduced output.

Another tip is to add the Commander mode to My Menu. I can't remember off-hand if the D300 allows you to set your Function button for quicker access, the D700 does allow.

Ah....good deal. I just knew that there were no control's on the flash when in wireless mode. I will have to play around with the settings in the camera and see what I come up with....now I just need to buy another SB-600. Man, it seems like no matter how often I buy gear, I never get any closer to getting all the gear that I want.

Man, it seems like no matter how often I buy gear, I never get any closer to getting all the gear that I want.

Amen to that. I want another SB600.

Thanks for your help, Kundalini. I got it to work and I've been playing around with it for the past few days. Should open up a lot of new ideas for me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back