Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This morning I got this:

Name: allen dale
Email: [email protected]
Phone: Not provided

Wedding Date: Apr 21, 2011

My name is Allen dale,i live in ORANGE PARK
FL(USA).I am presently in Montreal(CANADA)i will back home soo and i will be getting married immediately my arrival in Florida USA to my fiance Wanda Wilson. We will need a wedding/party Photographer to help us in making up our ceremony from the church to the hotel reception.We will like to find out what your plans are for THURSDAY,April,21,2011.This is the date of our wedding so kindly let us know your availability for this day.We'll take responsibility for your expenses regarding our plans.we might not be able to meet you soon as planned,due to our unavailability in the states but,we are willing to retain the date, that's to make deposit for booking prior we to our arrival to be sure we are interested in your service,if we really are.Waiting to get your response.
Allen&Wanda

~ Powered by DirectMatch(tm) ~

At first I was like...yay! Then I realized it MUST be a scam. Googled it and sure enough, it's a scam. FYI.

I know it's a scam, but how does it work?

They pay you a deposit and then never show for the wedding?

I assume they're just trying to get your account numbers - I would play with them and tell them that your business is strictly under the table, so you'll need a cash deposit. :lol:

I like to have fun with these spammers, and make them go back and forth with me. Some of them are very stupid. Most of them send their e-mails from by-the-minute e-mail cafes, so it's kind of fun to make them spend money on a useless effort to defraud me.

I typically drag all those scam/spam emails into one file folder, then forward them all to the latest scam that hits my inbox. So Allen & Wanda will will suddenly be flooded with offers for Disney vacations, billions in inheritance offers, the urgent need to renew their URL addresses and the like.

Anything that asks for personal information, I respond with made-up stuff. I once replied to one that I was Ronald Regan, address 1600 Penn Ave WDC, and a random Visa card number. Turns out, the scammer got nailed trying to use my fictitious Visa number online.

Montreal? I live in Montreal. Considering every Canadian knows each other, I can assure you that those people do not exists here.

Hi, Marc.

Not only that, but the e-mail is only in English. Everyone knows that in Canada everything must be in English and French. :lol:

Montreal? I live in Montreal. Considering every Canadian knows each other, I can assure you that those people do not exists here.

Hi, Marc.

Not only that, but the e-mail is only in English. Everyone knows that in Canada everything must be in English and French. :lol:

plus the sentences don't end in "eh"

I don't know French and I'm Canadian! I don't think you guys know what your talking about eh!

Now if you'll excuse me I've got to go hitch a ride on my Polar bear to my friends igloo, we're going Seal clubbing. Eh?

howsit going eh ?

I am a member of the AA eh ?
Eh ?
no AA.

I know it's a scam, but how does it work?

They pay you a deposit and then never show for the wedding?

I assume they're just trying to get your account numbers - I would play with them and tell them that your business is strictly under the table, so you'll need a cash deposit. :lol:

The scam is they send you a check for deposit (from overseas bank). You deposit the check and all looks well. But after a day or two, they contact you saying there is some kind of emergency and they need a portion of the deposit back. They will gratefully let you keep a portion of it for your hassles. They make sure you understand they need their money fast (real reason is their check will be found to be phony within a week or two). Basically they hope you see the check they sent was deposited and your account will initially show the ammount in your account. And you will send them a portion of it to them thinking the check was legit. After you send yours. You find they sent you a rubber check. Then your up the creek as the bank will so nicely remove the deposit from your account since its fake.

A variation of this is they send you a check from a stolen account. Again the deposit looks legit. But once its found the check was from a stolen account (even after months). The deposit amount will be removed from your account.

Have some fun with the guy. If you need any inspiration check out 419 Eater - The largest scambaiting community on the planet!

I have tried to play with a couple of them. But one even used a real credit card terminal. Could not finish the message without a real CC number. Of course I was not willing to play along with that. I also never use a real email address. Once they get ahold of a known good one. You will probably get flooded with 419's. But I like that 419 site. I read one where the guy got the scammer to send him $25 in cash FedEx. It went on over a year. I was laughing the whole time reading it, that the scammer was being scammed.

Most reactions

Back