What's new

Scanning advice???

4t9rs

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 24, 2010
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
CA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am VERY confused regarding dpi and ppi. Here's what I'm trying to do:

I have a 2x3 inch picture (that I can hold in my hand). I would like to scan it so that I can print out an 8x10 inch picture that is clear. What settings do I use with my scanner in order to do that?

Thank you very much,
4t9rs
 
Use a deep color bit depth, like 36-bit or 48-bit in the scanner software. Ue a high PPI or DPI setting, like 1,200 to 4,800. Set the size of output to at least 5x7. Scanner software varies quite a bit in how it "describes" the settings...many scanner software apps have a beginner or intermediate mode, and then a "professional" or "Advanced" mode.

I have found that scanning small originals works best when the scanner's DPI setting is set pretty high, at 600 or 1200 at least.
 
Thank you, Derrel, for responding so promptly. I'm not sure that I understand "bit depth." I'm hoping that it's easy to find on my scanner. I have an HP Photosmart Premium All-in-One C309g printer/scanner. I am hooking it up tomorrow to do this project. So at the moment, I'm not sure about the scanning software. I was just trying to get my "ducks in a row," so to speak. Are PPI and DPI the same thing? Thank you again..........4t9rs.
 
No, PPI and DPI are not really the same thing. PPI is pixels per inch and is used when sizing images for printing. It helps to remember PPI as P for "printing". DPI or Dots Per Inch is the way scanner software describes how "fine" the scan quality is. The higher the DPI number, the finer the detail that can be rendered, within limits.

Most modern flatbed scanners deliver pretty good detail at 600 to 1200 dots per inch; higher DPI settings are often made by interpolating the optical information and using software to interpolate (a fancy word for estimating or guessing!) the information to make a larger-sized output file, or one with more 'information'. However, often times the scanner's optics and or software is not good enough to get more actual, usable detail out of DPI settings higher than around 1,200 dots per inch.

The bit-depth issue can be referred to in several ways in the software: each application software can use differing descriptors. Look for "Full-color RGB", or "Highest Quality Printing" as opposed to something like "web-image" or "e-mail" or "Monochrome". The highest-quality scanned image setting will usually be fairly obvious.
 
Thanks for all the great information, Derrel. I am sure that I will be back on here tomorrow once I get my printer/scanner hooked up..............4t9rs (Paulette)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom