Scanning Old Prints?

ShootingBob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I want to digitize all my old prints. These prints are all standard size. To make things faster I load the whole scanner bed with photos then crop out each one later. Is there a simpler and faster way to do this?

I use CS3.

Thanks,Li

Some dedicated film scanners may be faster.

But other than that there are DIY options. I experimented with photographing the frames with a backlight using a macro lens. Providing the backlight is sufficiently diffuse, and the frame itself is held flat for instance wedged between two pieces of glass, the end result is comparable to a flatbed scanner. The speed you would be limited to is how fast you can load the film in the glass and take the photos. Much faster than scanning at 2400DPI.

I am in the process of doing the same thing for my fiance's dad. he has a slug of old 35mm slides from vietnam he wants done.

Best I can suggest is a lower scan resolution. I am doing these at 600 DPI. If he want's any in particular, he can point them out and I will go to a higher scan.

I can scan about 4 to a row, 16 to a set-up. It took about 4 hours to scan in 37 slides and crop them out to individual pictures.

Having a layout grid for the scanner helps in the placement and keeping the image square.

Most reactions

Back