SDHC Card Help!!! PLEASE!!!

RunOrDie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey everyone, Ok, so I have the Sandisk Extreme Class 10 16GB SDHC. In order for the card to reach it's full potential, do I need a good card reader as well? I am using my built in Lenovo card reader and all I'm getting is an average write speed of 20MB/s. I am not getting anythin...g higher. Even my Class 6 Lexar Platinum Ii is reaching the 20MB/s mark.

Another question that is totally unrelated, but can we clean the surface of Nikon D7000 camera bodies? If so, with what can I clean with? Is it just me or is the D7000 body really sticky? Is it b/c of the magnesium alloy body?

Oh ya, one more question I forgot to mention. As I am still shooting Jpeg, the SDHC performance is all very similar right? Between UHS-I or Class 10 or even Class 6? The only big notice I found was when I was shooting Raw...

So mostly all SD cards perform similar when shooting 1 Jpeg that is roughly 3MB in size right? So I guess there is not real need for my to buy the UHS-I SD... Any help? Thanks again

THANKS SO MUCH!

Another question that is totally unrelated, but can we clean the surface of Nikon D7000 camera bodies? If so, with what can I clean with? Is it just me or is the D7000 body really sticky? Is it b/c of the magnesium alloy body?
Just use a damp, lint free cloth. I hate to break it to you, but the D7000 does not have a magnesium alloy body. The D7000 has a magnesuim alloy top, and back plate. The front and bottom of the chassis, where all the critical connection points are (like for the lens and a tripod) are just plastic. At any rate the camera chassis is covered with external pieces. Some of those are designed to enhance grip.

As far as CF/SD card performance visit: Rob Galbraith DPI: CF/SD Performance Database

Hey, thanks for your reply to my SDHC thread.

Do you know why my Lexar Class 6 is performing the same as my Sandisk Extreme Class 10? Is it b/c of my laptop card reader? If so, do I need to upgrade?

So an UHS SD won't make a difference when copying pictures, since my built-in card reader is slow? If so, how can I check my max read/write speed for my card reader?

Are all SDs made the same? Like would 1 Sandisk Extreme Class 10 perform betetr than another of the same?

Also, when I shot 10 continuous RAW pictures, it took 13sec for the Sandisk Extreme and 23sec for my Lexar. For JPEG, they both took roughly 12sec for all of them to appear on my playback on the D7000.

I am really new to this stuff...THANKS SO MUCH!

Does various speeds only matter when taking continuous shots? If I am taking 1 JPEG picture, basically all SDs would write that similarly?

The limiting factor in the camera is the camera image buffer write speed. Basically the camera cannot write any faster than any class 6 card can handle.

The card rating factor is actually more about how quickly the card can upload to a computer, than how quickly a camera can write image files to the card.

Another factor that affects in camera write speed is camera settings. Features like high ISO NR (Noise Reduction) and Nikon's D-lighting can seriously slow write speed.

Most reactions

Back