Seaweed - Zoomed focus not sharp

sanderso

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All:

Just returned from vacay in Maine. Took some pix of seaweed on the shore and was disappointed to see the results on my screen in LR. At normal zoom, all looked ok, but up close in LR I could find no part of the image in sharp focus. (Hopefully the posted image will show this.) I noticed the same problem with other images (not posted) taken at the same time w the same lens.

Could this a lens issue (poor quality), exposure problem, LR zoom issue, other error from behind the viewfinder, or is an image zoomed in PP always going to be OOF? With different contours to the subject, and with AF on the center, I expected to see at least one part of the image in sharp focus.

I thought EXIF data was set to "on"....but I don't see it. Accordingly details:

Camera: D7000
Lens: 18-105 kit lens
VR: on
Aperture priority, set to: 5.6
Speed: 1/200
ISO: 200
Exp Bias: 1EV (forgot to reset this to zero from prior shot, but knew shooting in RAW provided more PP flexibility)
Zoom level: 105mm (157 in 35mm equivalent)
AF: spot focus on middle of image
Taken in RAW, handheld
LightRoom: ver 3.4

Thnx in advance for your thoughts.

i would say lens. the 18-105 is by no means a professional lens and it wouldnt surprise me if it had a bit of focus error.

chaosrealm: the lens was my first thought...my wallet was thinking otherwise.

gsgary: thanks...knew I might have been pushing it, but has hoped VR=on might buy me a bit

Thnx both for your comments.

gsgary: thanks...knew I might have been pushing it, but has hoped VR=on might buy me a bit

It should didn't see it was VR

It should didn't see it was VR

VR may have bought me some, but maybe the Exp bias=1 may have offset any VR advantage.

Most reactions

Back