Second guessing my Nikon DSLR purchase

I would go D40 kit len, 55-200vr, and an SB-600, that would just fit your price range. I got my D40 kit let lens and 55-200 VR for 500 bucks so yeah, it's quite cheap compare to others.

ISO Auto is an amazing feature -- so good that you don't even notice that it's there! I didn't know that the D200 lacked that feature. The D80 is still a great camera, and unless you really need a faster shutter speed and more "pro" features, I'd go with the D80 (or D90, etc.)

Get a D200 from bestbuy, and an 18-70 off craigslist for $200.

make your $800 limit and you have an awesome system.

why not a D60? I was just looking at it and its only $599 with an 18-55mm lens... seems like a pretty good deal if you ask me

I think 600 bucks for a new D200 is pretty good.

with no lens tho... I mean I know its not a HUGE deal for most people... but the D60 seems to have a ton of features and stuff. the D200 is a great camera dont get me wrong... but for someone on a tight budget... brand new D60 with one lens, then either a protection plan haha or a second lens seems great to me. Hopefully when my tax money comes in I will be able to upgrade from 35mm to digital.

to the OP:
If it was me picking... I would go with the D60 and a second lens.

The D60 is a fine camera I'm sure but being able to use every lens from the AI up is very nice and it can also save you a bundle.

Then too, features never actually took a photo. ;)

AI meaning auto ISO?

I am still fairly new to all this... why do you need AI if you know and can set it yourself? not being a dick just wondering

I think Mike_E is referencing the Lens line up from Nikon.
Not sure if you aware of the D40/D40x/D60 will not autofocus non AF-S lens from Nikon. (Or any other 3rd party lenses that do not have a build-in focus motor).

For example, if someone want to have a fast 50mm lens for his/her camera, D60 combo maybe more expensive.

dont lenses have to have there own focus motor to be able to auto focus? I mean to me personally if I have to focus it myself its not a huge deal at all, just me personally tho.

Yes, a lot of people still use manual focus. Especially with the older camera that have the Split-circle type focusing screen. But in the most of the modern DSLR, they do not have that feature. And that make manual focus a little harder (at least for me).

In some situation, it is much better to have Autofocus. And yes, not all of the Nikon lenses have focus motor build-in.

Of course, from what I read, Nikon keep make new lenses that will autofocus on the D40/D40x/D60 cameras. So if someone do not care about the other lenses, D60 maybe a good choice for them. :)

Truly, there is no right or wrong here. It just a personally preference. It really depends on what OP wants and the priorities.

For me, if I am going to buy a Nikon DSLR, I prefer the one with the build-in focus drive motor.

Thank you everyone for your input.

I have made my decision and bought a Nikon D200 with the Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom lens.[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1] I also purchased two books. One specifically to the D200 and Understanding Exposure.

I am excited to get my new camera and start learning. :D
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Most reactions

Back