Second-Hand Camera

I want to know that is it ok for beginners to buy a second-hand camera. If I want to buy used camera, how to choose a good second-hand camera?
Go to Fred Miranda for used gear. To buy you'll need a paid membership but I think the sellers are a lot more reliable, only because they won't last if they're selling junk without disclosing that!
Check it out to decide.
I've bought several cameras and lenses through it!
Good luck
SS

I generally buy used, but that is NOT for everyone.
Standard rule for buying used is "buyer beware."
If you are buying over the internet, you are buying blind. Except for photos and description, you cannot inspect the item for condtion, until you buy it and get it in your hands.
If you do not know what you are looking at, IMHO, it is better to buy from a seller that is trustworthy and can help you, even at a higher price. The higher price is paying for their expertise. KEH is an example of a seller that a lot have good experience with, and they stand behind what they sell.
Failing that, buying new is usually a safe bet.

Warning about "refurbished" items.
I have seen some very questionable listings.
There was one where the item was listed as refubished. But burried down in the text, they say, it was not tested, because they do not have a battery. So what did they do to make it refurbished, just wipe the dust off :eek-73:

DO NOT buy "second hand" cameras.... buy factory refurbished if you go with a digital camera.
FAR to many people selling used cameras online are simply selling ones that dont work, You know, the ones that look ok, and work just fine with the kit lens, but the minute you try to use the flash the camera makes funny smelling smoke and some crackle noises... Or the main dials work fine, unless the camera is held upside down and then they fall out...

While refurbished is a great option, buying a second hand can also be a very good move. Adorama, B&H, KEH and Mpb are all reputable online sellers that sell both refurbished and used equipment. They rate the used equipment by condition and accept returns. Buying from a private seller is another option but maybe not the best route for a newb. Usually private sale is a better price but you do have to have a level of trust there. I have bought used lenses from several strangers in moderated Facebook groups and have yet to be disappointed. Do your due diligence to make sure they have good feedback, ask for new pics with that days date and the persons name in a note with the pics, use PayPal.

I, fortunately, have not had flyingPhoto's experience with used equipment. Of the 14 lenses and 10 bodies I've been through in the last decade and a half, no bodies and only 3 of the lenses were purchased new. Only one of the lenses was unusable, and that's not because it didn't work, it's because it was a piece-of-crap 55-200 kit lens that came with one of my used cameras.

Most of my bodies were purchased used, when a new model has been introduced, you can find people moving up to the latest and greatest. The "old" models are usually two years old and have lots of life left in them. Or you can drop back two model releases and find even better deals. I keep them and use them until the shutter fails.

What you need to ask yourself is how much do you really need the latest features which are often just better versions of the last greatest new features. What lenses do you already have? How much do you want to be locked in to an older series or do you want to jump to something with more future? I'm happy with EF, but someone moving up or starting to get more serious might want a R camera. (or Sony or Nikon or... whatever brand you prefer)

Bottom line, answer from me is this. Your lenses will be good, camera body after body. Invest in the best lenses you can afford, which is more important than "what body should I buy"? Many of the Mfgs. have the same sensors, and what you are paying for are features and dials, maybe a faster processor.

Most reactions

Back