Second Shooting Round 2! pic heavy

frommrstomommy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was my 2nd time second shooting a wedding.. I really didn't take all that many photos but she just wanted me there for a few getting ready of the groom and to help coordinate their first look and to help with posing/herding the family for all the family shots.. and then of course to capture some extras at the ceremony and then I was done. I think I played more of a wedding coordinator role than second shooter it felt like. lol It was a great time though! The guys were so funny and I ended up having to iron shirts for them while they were getting ready. Definitely a memorable weekend!

A few from my day! CC welcome.. weddings are certainly not my thing but I do enjoy second shooting so I would love to improve. All are very quick just basic preset edits from my stash.. no extra retouching at all.

Many were shot with my new (to me) 70-200.. but detail shots of the ceremony site were taken with the main's 85 and the ring shot was a 60mm macro she had rented.

1 CBC_5869.jpg
2CBC_5876.jpg
3CBC_5893.jpg
4CBC_5955.jpg
5 CBC_5962.jpg
6 CBC_5963.jpg
7 CBC_5968.jpg
8 CBC_5971.jpg
9 CBC_5979.jpg
10CBC_5984.jpg
11 CBC_5988.jpg
12 CBC_5993.jpg
13 CBC_5999.jpg
14CBC_6004.jpg
15 CBC_6007.jpg

I see a distinct sense of style in all of these. Every.Single.Shot.

There is a way the frame is being used, all the way out to the edges.The whole frame. It's a sort of semi-normal-lens-type showing/distilling of the scene. A LOT of "scene" is shown...not just a reduced, distilled, uber-close-in showing, but a more wholistic, view-from-an-observer look. Take #17--the OOF foreground bokeh, in the form, of the limb, and the OOF heads of the wedding guest...as he reads his vows. Wow! But it's also there in #15, and in the shots with the balloons going alllll the way up to the top of the frame. Shot #9, the boy playing with the toy ship...look at the woman in the purple dress, legs on the move, going OUT of the frame, active...and the man, standing there, frozen, as so many men are at weddings...another really good use of the entire compositional space, a "back story with a story" type of shot.

These are ALL done in a very interesting, documentary style, with what I identify as a woman's processing feel and style, very delicate, very 2014-era. Nice work. Very "personal", not sterile, not hard-edged, very,well, very of-this-decade, and yet also very interesting. I like the wider angles of view, more about the ambience, the light, the scene, the day. These possess a visual "stamp", or what I call "a visual impression",especially when seen together.

:clap:

lovin' #17. Too bad she looks a little bored in that shot.

Yeah, definitely a GREAT set. Really nicely done. The images go well as a set, I love the processing, and the framing is really top notch.

Jake

Thank you Derrel. I definitely tried to have a "view from an observer" look. The main was shooting MUCH closer and was very much all up in the action so I just really laid back, very hands off because I felt it would be too much to have two of us all up in the event.

And FWIW #17 is definitely my favorite for whatever reason! I must have looked like a crazy person the way I was peeking through the tree for that shot but I'm so glad I did it! lol

:clap:

lovin' #17. Too bad she looks a little bored in that shot.

I know what you mean, but I'm pretty sure you are decoding a very,very,very uncommon emotion, incorrectly, and misidentifying it as "boredom". What you are seeing is deep emotional attachment, in profile, and real life, not as seen on TV. This is a very rare, first-time-in-a-lifetime kind of moment, and we don't get a lot of chances to see such unvarnished, raw emotionally induced expression. This is a highly-charged emotional state...it's NOT "boredom". Look a little harder, think a little bit more about what she might be thinking...

For ths just being your 2nd time as a 2nd shooter, your pictures speak volumes as to your talent. I think you did a great job, and I'm impressed. My wife will tell you I'm very hard to get impressed over something. I think you centered the pictures perfectly, and the distance you shot from was what made the pictures all the more impressive. I think you've got a great future in photography, and I think you were well worth the money they paid you. Keep up the good work, and it seems to come naturally for you.

For ths just being your 2nd time as a 2nd shooter, your pictures speak volumes as to your talent. I think you did a great job, and I'm impressed. My wife will tell you I'm very hard to get impressed over something. I think you centered the pictures perfectly, and the distance you shot from was what made the pictures all the more impressive. I think you've got a great future in photography, and I think you were well worth the money they paid you. Keep up the good work, and it seems to come naturally for you.

Wow! Thank you so much, those are definitely very kind words!

Most reactions

Back