Secondary body to my D7200

Seems the 7200 system does everything you'll need. Why a second body? Only if it offers something your 7200 can't do.

Seems the 7200 system does everything you'll need. Why a second body? Only if it offers something your 7200 can't do.
I am going out for my *first* photography trip ... I started seriously last year when I've joined a forum ... until then I was just casual shooter, mostly vacationist and family shooter, and documenting my sports and such like ... I feel that I need a secondary body ... and also that I perhaps should progress forward, to do step ahead from my D7200

Well going one step further than the D7200 is the D500. And it is a DX camera.
But that is more a sports/action camera than a landscape camera.

For landscape, you are probably better with a D810/850 class camera, for the higher MP sensor.

If you do go with a FX camera, I suggest looking for a FX ultra-wide, so you are not dependent on the DX camera.
Although having said that, it is amazing what stitching software can do. Even knowing where the stitch is, I've had trouble finding it, and sometimes could not find it.

But, since you are happy with and like your D7200, I suggest looking for a used one to be your backup camera.
By staying in DX, that avoids the whole DX/FX lens issue.

Reactions: ntz
Just bring your D7200 and enjoy the trip...

I have poster sized prints on my wall using an A6000 and stock lens.

ladies and gentlemen,

thank you very much for your input !! Problem solved. I've bought for $1300 an used D750 + Nikon 16-35mm f/4 VR from the friend of my friend - pro photographer .. Camera is like new (14k on shutter counter) and lens too, it's really like new - it's obvious that previous owner was giving all the care and love to the camera that you can imagine, it was actually his secondary camera (his primary is D850) and he's now going into Nikon Z ..

Guy who sold me the camera offered me that I can return it back freely within one month if I won't like it (yeah, the friend of my photography buddy)

best resolution !!! I still have D850 in my TODO list but now I don't have to hurry ..

After few days of shooting with D750 I am regretfully going to return it ... here's why

1) in general there is NO improvement in IQ for my use. With pixel-peeping I can see a very slight improvement in sharpness in the center of the images Vs my D7200 (both cameras have 24MP sensor). This improvement is normally not visible and not noticeable even at 100% zoom .. There is NO improvement at all in dynamic range. Moreover it seems that when I pull shadow detail in postprocess out of D7200, they look a better than from D750 (D7200's Toshiba sensor Vs D750's Sony sensor ?). AF performance is same, color rendition seems a bit better on D7200 - maybe I am used on it too much, D750 seems to be in general a bit warmer (by 200/300K) and also D750 metering seems over-exposing shots in general bit more than D7200 (so almost always applied -0.3 EV correction at D750 where no correction on D7200 is needed and still D750 will look a bit brighter)

2) In general the edges of images (not surprisingly) are worse with D750 (however my Tokina lenses perform noticeably well) .. On short end and wide open the difference is obvious with all lenses. There's also another problem - my beloved circular magnetic filters bring visible vignetting (when stacked) on D750 (and for obvious reason there's no vignetting at all when I use circular filters on my D7200 body with FX lenses)

3) Performance of wide angle Nikon 16-35mm f/4 lens on D750 can be described as "horrid" .. Center of the frame is OK but the edges are almost unusable compared to my DX combo D7200 + Tokina AT-X 11-20mm f/2.8 DX

4) ISO performance (by noise levels) is unnoticeable for daylight landscapes. Ofc for indoor shots with ISO 1000+ is D750 much better. On the other hand there's significant difference in DoF so for landscape shots the APS-C D7200 significantly outperforms a FX D750 especially in the most lenses sweetspot that is 5.6-8 and AP 11 on DX requires AP 16 on FX ..

Everything else is same, both cameras have same ergonomics and handling (except that D750 has tiling display which is advantage), almost identical dimensions and weight, identical build and body features (two SD card slots, weather sealing, etc) .. Another advantage in favour to FX is that for my landscape adventures the combination of 16-35mm + 70-200mm is better and I can go lightweight with only these two lenses compared to "full package" with DX camera where I take always 11-20mm and 24-70 at least + usually 70-200 too

Conclusion:

I've learned this way how great camera is D7200 .. The only missing thing here is a fixed display but in real world usage for landscape photography and with my lenses is my D7200 better camera than D750 especially related to IQ in the edges of frames. Nikon 16-35mm f/4 lens is horrid (or I had some bad piece) and it didn't convince me that this lens can work well with high resolution chip like D850 ..

If I'd be a studio and portrait shooter that needs a shallow DoF then D750 would be better than D7200 for my usage but because my main interest is to go outdoors for landscape photography my D7200 clearly outperforms D750 in the most of metrics ..

end-of-the-message ..

cheers, ~dan

To bad you didn't like it, good thing you bought it somewhere with a good return policy.

Sometimes there is no substitute for actually trying the gear.
Too bad you found it lacking.

To bad you didn't like it, good thing you bought it somewhere with a good return policy.
Sometimes there is no substitute for actually trying the gear.
Too bad you found it lacking.

I didn't say/mean that D750 is worse. I said that for my use and in combination to gear that I already have the D750 doesn't bring me any improvement in IQ. On the other hand exceptionally positive message on this is that D7200 is exceptionally good camera .. one my friend published some time ago on his blog an article (unfortunately it's in czech language), where he was comparing

D610 + Nikon 16-35mm f/4
NIKON-D610.jpg

Vs

D5600 + Nikon 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6 DX
NIKON-D5600.jpg

I had a same "no difference" outcome while testing out my D7200 Vs D750 ..

cheers, ~dan

Just because I love mine...look for a used D4

Just because I love mine...look for a used D4
extremely bulky and heavy ;) .. I sometimes rather think about to go for some small and compact mirrorless (like superlightweight kit Nikon Z50 + 15-50 + 50-250) but no, I am DSRL guy (and we'll have in 2022 a new Nikon D880 :) with 60MPx sensor)

Seems like you were expecting some unrealistic vast improvement.

There is NO improvement at all in dynamic range. Moreover it seems that when I pull shadow detail in postprocess out of D7200, they look a better than from D750 (D7200's Toshiba sensor Vs D750's Sony sensor ?).

Not shocked, they have nearly identical DR measurements.

AF performance is same

not shocked, they have the same AF module.

On the other hand there's significant difference in DoF so for landscape shots the APS-C D7200 significantly outperforms a FX D750 especially in the most lenses sweetspot that is 5.6-8 and AP 11 on DX requires AP 16 on FX ..

Pretty sure you are wrong here. Play with a DOF calculator and you will see.

the D750 is basically the FX equivalent of the D7200. The only real advantage here, for you, would be to shoot wider but then you got to deal with capturing extremely distorted corners since you're using way more of the edges of the glass.

Hopefully this hiccup will be the last symptom of GAS for a while...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back