Seeking advice on what Camera to buy

mufasalives

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Before I start, I promise I'm not the kind of person you think I am.

I'm an absolute beginner. I know the basics, and am passionate. I am ready to spend countless hours learning, studying, and practicing. I've been devoting time to this for a long time now, and I am confident that eventually it will pay off. I do not want to come across like I'm diving right into making money. It is completely secondary to me anyway. Life just seems like its a little easier when you're looking at it through a viewfinder.

alright, now on with it;

I am looking to invest in a camera here pretty soon. I would like a camera that I can learn on, and eventually in the beginning of my amateur career would be able to use until I could afford to upgrade to something better.
I am looking for a body that is capable of taking pictures for the same things everyone else says on the internet (Family pictures, Senior pictures, Weddings, Shows/Venues etc). I need something, like I said, to use from the jumping off point, to the beginning of my amateur career.

Now, I know I'll probably get a bunch of people recommending me other brands and such, But I am comfortable and familiar with Canon's interface and prefer them.

I was looking at the T3i and thought maybe if I invested in some quality lenses (and I mean quality, not a $200 off-brand from Amazon. I was thinking more along the lines of starting an "L" series collection.) that it would be adequate for the timeline I'm working with. But, thats why I'm posting here. I'm curious as to if I should invest in something else on the basis that a T3i wouldn't work the way I intend it to.

I appreciate you reading this all the way through.

Why buy a camera when you can buy martial arts, boxing, and fitness equipment at fair prices?!

Seems like you have it all figured out. If you got it, spend it I say. Just don't underestimate the EF line. Primes might be up your alley with the style of shooting you're talking about. Cheap and razor sharp. I'd suggest primes for the simple fact that they make you move around instead of just grabbing the zoom ring. A great way to start learning about composition.

first off, thank you for replying! :) I wasn't sure if I'd get any at all.

See that's the thing, I don't have too much money at the moment, I'm going to be saving up for whatever I decide I want. I'm goal oriented AND detail oriented (it's an unfortunate combination), and I'd like to figure out exactly what I need, that way I can put a certain percentage away every month and know exactly about when I should have the $$$ for it.
See, I don't mind spending more if there's something at a reasonable price that has features I might as well pay the extra money for.

What I'm asking is, would the T3i be adequate? would I be better out shelling out for a T4i/5i or a 60D?

The thing is, if you're a total beginner, then any modern DSLR is going to be capable of performing outside of your ability to use it. Some probably disagree, but I think learning with entry level gear is actually beneficial because it eventually forces you to appreciate the limitations of the technology, how those limitations come into play, and how you might work within them. Thinking is a good thing.

Also, this experience will help you identify exactly what improvements you would like in a better camera, so you can shop accordingly when it's time to upgrade, rather than just going in blind with the mentality that "it's more expensive so it must be better."

yeah, I see your point. I'd just like to be able to use this camera to, like I said, use at the beginning of my career. By that I mean that I'd like to be able to use it to make money, so that I can take that money and set it aside in a savings account to upgrade. Does that make sense? Or is what I'm saying totally unrealistic?

EDIT: I just came across a refurbished 40D on B&H for $330. Would that be a better way to go? I don't mind shelling out for lenses, I'm just focusing on what body I should shoot for atm.

Last edited:
Hi there! If you're willing to spend some time learning on your camera, you should start reading some SLR reviews before... Here's where you can find the best camera reviews: Digital Cameras: SLR, Micro 4/3 and Interchangeable Lens Reviews. Start checking if you want an SLR or an hybrid camera such as the NEX-5N, which is absolutely amazing. I'd suggest a Canon or a Sony for beginning cause a Nikon could be tough to start with, plus their price and image quality are very good.
Have fun!

Get a camera with a great flash and metering system.And get a camera with a high-level autofocus module and system. Look at the Nikon D7100. Skip the Rebel-level stuff, and buy the best sensor technology, and the best camera, which means Nikon. Canon's still stuck generations back with their .5 micron sensor fabrication process. The new standard is .18 micron. If you want to start out with outdated sensor technology and sub-par flash metering, by all means, buy a Canon Rebel.

Well, there you have it then; as per Derrel, get a D7100. Very good glass is available with an "N" on it too. While you're at it, get an SB-910 speedlight.

By the time you "outgrow" that setup, there will be newer technology available, and you should be ready to "go pro".

Most reactions

Back