What's new

Seeking advice.

thebeatles

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 30, 2007
Messages
800
Reaction score
1
Location
pennsylvania
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A local tea shop has asked me to take some "spill" shots of their different teas. When I say spill shots I am referring to something like this: > [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Pomegranate-White-Tea-Loose-Leaf/dp/B001UYY0TM/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=gourmet-food&qid=1266628489&sr=8-10"]link[/ame] <
It doesn't need to be artsy or anything, just a basic product shot displaying the tea. I guess I should also mention this is loose leaf tea (like in the link), not bagged tea. I agreed to do the photos for free, as I am not very confident with my abilities as a photographer yet. I only have one flash that I can use off camera and I am not experienced with off camera flash yet, specifically flash placement. Any tips would be appreciated. I want to do the best job I can so any advice is good advice. :thumbup: Thanks in advance folks! :D
 
He who agrees to do work for free is undervaluing his time. Even the people who take pictures at sears make minimum wage.
 
He who agrees to do work for free is undervaluing his time. Even the people who take pictures at sears make minimum wage.

If I weren't friends with these people, I would not be as inclined to do something like this for free. I don't know if you have seen any of my photos either, they aren't exactly top notch. :lol:
 
Soft box, white sweep, hot lighting as many sides as you can (front, sides, back, shoot from top), shoot raw, set a custom white balance when you are all set up....
 
The more artistic shots you have created may not be the best in the world, but proper lighting and settings on a camera for something like this will do the work for you. I am not opposed to working for friends and family, but if someone learns you have done it for free before for family and friends then in the long run you end up with a lot of friends who didn't care enough about your endeavor to be a customer.
 
...I am not opposed to working for friends and family, but if someone learns you have done it for free before for family and friends then in the long run you end up with a lot of friends who didn't care enough about your endeavor to be a customer.

Good point. :thumbup:
 
...hot lighting as many sides as you can (front, sides, back, shoot from top)...

Thanks for the advice. :thumbup:

Are you implying that one flash wont cut it?

I was just going with my preference of constant lighting Vs strobe, for this kind of stuff. With hot light, what you see is what you get, you're not working with light at a fraction of a second, so you can see what you like and adjust it quickly.
Its also pretty cheap to do.

As for one strobe, I would say it would be a bit more difficult. I sat through a lighting course and the dude who was setting up a product shot in a lightbox had enough strobes to vaporize the item, he said it was necessary and I would admit his images were good.
 
Are you implying that one flash wont cut it?

i think if this is what you have to work with it'll be fine. its all i have as well, and i'd have no issue using either or both of my flashes off camera for this.
 
Thanks for the advice everyone. :thumbup:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom