What's new

Selective Color C&C

DirtyDFeckers

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 28, 2010
Messages
488
Reaction score
2
Location
Savannah, GA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's my first attempt at selective coloring. Comments?



ElementsFinal.jpg
 
It draws all my attention to the mask, like that is the main subject in your picture.
 
It draws all my attention to the mask, like that is the main subject in your picture.



Is that not the point of selective coloring??? To make a certain part of the image "pop" out at you?
 
It draws all my attention to the mask, like that is the main subject in your picture.

Is that not the point of selective coloring??? To make a certain part of the image "pop" out at you?

Yes, but why would you want the mask to pop out in this photo - that's what I don't get about it. To me the kid is the main focus in that image, and the mask is just distracting.
 
It draws all my attention to the mask, like that is the main subject in your picture.

Is that not the point of selective coloring??? To make a certain part of the image "pop" out at you?

Yes, but why would you want the mask to pop out in this photo - that's what I don't get about it. To me the kid is the main focus in that image, and the mask is just distracting.


I see what you are saying...this was an attempt at something different.... Would you suggest doing the kid in color, and leaving everything else b&w? Just seemed boring to me that way.
 
Experimentation is good. As for selective coloring; most of the time I see it beeing done, it doesn't work for the image. But that's only my personal opinion, not a rule or something :) As for your image, not having seen the all color version, I'd go with just a plain b&w image.
 
Experimentation is good. As for selective coloring; most of the time I see it beeing done, it doesn't work for the image. But that's only my personal opinion, not a rule or something :) As for your image, not having seen the all color version, I'd go with just a plain b&w image.


Here is the all color image.

DSC_0099.jpg
 
I feel like the kid is a little bit overexposed and so are the highlights in the background, they really lead me away from the subject.
 
Having looked at it, I'd go with an all b&w image. But as I said: it's just a personal preference, not any rule that needs to be followed or anything :) Composition and everything else I like about it.
 
Thanks... I agree with you that the b&w is better than the color in this particular shot. Thanks for the comments.
 
Instead of selective coloring, you could try selective desaturation. I mean go in and draw down some of the colors in the photo that you want a little less obvious.

Lightroom makes this really fun to do.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom