Selective Color

paulina152

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Nobody really does it anymore but I've been doing it alot lately. I think its makes pictures in a way more interesting and more dramatic. What do you think??

0392.jpg

245.jpg

DSC01438hjjh.jpg

IMG_4379tyyuy.jpg

136copy.jpg

Last edited:
To be honest I think the selective colouring only works for #2 due to the simplicity of your subject. In #1 the flowers to the left are pulling my eyes away from the subject. #3 looks quite noisy and I cant decide whether would prefer the stem in colour, I also think this would look better flipped 180. and #4 is pretty good but I think the background needs just a touch of colour. Instead of going completly B&W to make the subject stand out try simply reducing the saturation in the areas you want to make less apparent, it looks more natural.

What editing program are you using?

I lie these!

Sticky K on your keyboard by any chance?.... I've seen you say "I lie..." quite a few times already.... or maybe it's just a freudian thing :lol:

Although some say its old or played out, I really enjoy both seeing and doing "Selective Coloring". 1 Is well done though the flower could have maybe been left B&W and #2 is great.

I think they are all very nice looking. I like selective coloring. Great job.

#3 looks quite noisy

I believe this may be just the flower being fake. Looks sorta like felt. I actually like it though.

I use Photoshop actually and the pink flower is real but i could see why you would think that though. Sorry for the noise too, it was bad lighting and didn't come out very good. thank you for your opinions. ;)

Here are a couple older ones I did. They dont have the clarity of the DSLR but I didnt have one then either lol

uristpancolor.jpg

BeechBendcolor3.jpg

TheCougarcolor.jpg

Instead of going completly B&W to make the subject stand out try simply reducing the saturation in the areas you want to make less apparent, it looks more natural.
THIS!
I was going to go into that.

I really don't care for selective color. Sorry. Particularly when there is no rhyme or reason for it. It's just a 'trick' or a 'stunt' if you will.

That said, Paulina, I do like where you were going with the very first one. But you didn't execute it well enough, in my opinion. I like the idea of the person being B&W, and everything else in color. You just didn't include enough of the world around her to carry it off.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back