Self Portrait - crit please?

guitarmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Shot this upon realizing that the grant application I was submitting the next day had to have a print-quality press photo in it.

415733403_0bf1fa47ac.jpg

Shot with D50 and an off-camera SB600 flash bounced off the ceiling, camera right.

Self-crit: it'd be nice to have a second light source to create a bit more separation between me & background (what's that called? A rim light?), and a reflector on my offside? Plus I think I need to blur the background wall in PS - can see the flaws in the paint (backdrop was living room wall)

I'm not sure...but for a 'press photo', they may want you to be looking at the camera. Otherwise, I agree with all that you said.

Generally for that kind of application a 'press photo' is so they can see that you're somewhat marketable. AKA not fugly. So I hope I'm not fugly.

Otherwise, I'm not really sure if there's a set standard for press photos.

Very nice picture.
Dramatic, good lighting, good detail, good focus.
IMO, crop would be better if tighter and pic more intense if you were looking at the camera.

4157334030bf1fa47acbkz0.jpg

Looks nice. I actually prefer the first crop. Just try not to center yourself so much and the shadowing on your face isn't ideal. I can see if you reshot this, made it a bit grainer, increased your contrast in post processing and fixed the lighting on your face- it would be a neat moody b/w :)

I too think for this application (PR photo), it's best if you're not looking off-camera. I would crop in thighter though... maybe add a vignette.

Pete

Attachments

• $415733403_0bf1fa47ac.jpg
    $415733403_0bf1fa47ac.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 99
Wicked. Thanks a bunch for the feedback. I'll apply it next time!

Most reactions

Back