Photographer's Portraits + New Self Portrait

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I've been posting a lot lately, but to be fair I have also been creating a lot more content than usual over the last couple of months.

Recently I did some portraits of a few other photographers in studio. Admittedly I could be more original with the lighting, posing and post, as I directly mimicked some of my favorite portrait work done by Annie Leibovitz, but it's clear that I don't come anywhere close to her level of skill and artistry (or that of her editing team). I also got to use an Oliphant hand painted backdrop!

All were shot with a Canon 5D (the original) with a Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 lens attached, set to f/5.6, 1/160th sec, ISO 100.
dczjo32-7d3b2910-a8c4-44c5-9c2a-fed775e58cc7.jpg

dczjzf6-f4a0ba34-ea37-4d99-89d2-a9c795049145.jpg

dczjjnd-1a2be6d2-9573-4724-b94a-b20172e2d5ca.jpg

I also wanted an updated self portrait in this lighting setup, so instead of having my assistant stand in as my test subject, I handed my camera over to him and took a seat in the studio. Technically my assistant focused and pressed the shutter button, but is it still considered a self portrait when you yourself set up the lighting and output, the camera settings, instruct the person holding the camera how to frame the shot, and additionally do all post processing on the shot? I think so, but that's just one man's opinion.
dczmeve-6a58a6c5-bcb5-448d-b77f-a8b309a119c6.jpg

Last edited:
Being able to see the light is one thing, being able to create the light is a whole new world to explore. In studio is my most satisfying time. Great set!

I like them; It almost seems to me like a behind the scenes of what would become a cropped portrait set..

Great set and it's nice to see you smiling. I'm used to the stern, seriousness of your avatar.

Being able to see the light is one thing, being able to create the light is a whole new world to explore. In studio is my most satisfying time. Great set!
It's fun for sure, but I certainly don't think it's any better or more satisfying than using natural or available light. To be honest I take pride in being able to make natural light look as polished as studio light.

Hey, I missed this thread until now!

A fun set - that light adds total whimsy to these portraits. I have come to expect technical perfection from you, so it's these added touches that elevate them for me. They all look great, and whatever your assistant said to get you to grin - he needs to do it more often!

Love them!

Hey, I missed this thread until now!

A fun set - that light adds total whimsy to these portraits. I have come to expect technical perfection from you, so it's these added touches that elevate them for me. They all look great, and whatever your assistant said to get you to grin - he needs to do it more often!

Love them!
Thank you so much Terri!

Most reactions

Back