Self Portraits are not easy C&C

Ballistics

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score

Feb232012 by The Photo Major, on Flickr

This is the first time I use my lightstand/umbrella ensemble. Wife was at work, kids were asleep, and I was bored out of my face.

This was manually focused. I used 2 lightstands with 2 speedlights. One @ a high 45o (sb700)angle and the other at a low 45(YN467) degree angle. 1/32 power on the top and 1/16 on the bottom.

Couple of issues:

- The room was black, so I used TV light to try and focus. Wasn't happening so I had to manually focus. I had to use one of the light stands to focus on and then move it into place.
- No modeling light sucks
- I do not have a light meter, so all I could do is a bunch of test shots. Time consuming.
- Need a reflector holder lol.

Any tips to make self portraits less of a pain in the ass are greatly appreciated.

Self portraits are certainly difficult, especially when you're trying to simultaneously learn light. I still remember my first self session, it was awful. All things considered, I think you did a fine job. The focus looks good, the exposure looks good, and the light quality looks good.

You don't need model lights. With practice and additional understanding, you'll be soon know what the light will look like before you take a test shot. Just pretend that the flash is always on like a flashlight!

This also works the same with the power setting of the lights.... you'll get better at estimating where they need to be before the first shot. It just takes some practice. You'll find that you'll either be taking fewer and fewer test shots, or you'll be doing more complicated lighting setups with roughly the same number of test shots.

I wonder why you had two lights from the same direction, one high, and one low? I see the one high is the catchlight, but I see no evidence of a light down low... are you sure it fired? This looks like a one light setup.

Self portraits are certainly difficult, especially when you're trying to simultaneously learn light. I still remember my first self session, it was awful. All things considered, I think you did a fine job. The focus looks good, the exposure looks good, and the light quality looks good.

Thank you very much. Yes learning light and self portraits combined made for a very long 45 pictures.

You don't need model lights. With practice and additional understanding, you'll be soon know what the light will look like before you take a test shot. Just pretend that the flash is always on like a flashlight!

This also works the same with the power setting of the lights.... you'll get better at estimating where they need to be before the first shot. It just takes some practice. You'll find that you'll either be taking fewer and fewer test shots, or you'll be doing more complicated lighting setups with roughly the same number of test shots.

I really enjoy the controlled environment shots. I think I am finding my niche. Practice is hard to come by in a little apartment with 2 children, but I try to do it as often as possible.

I wonder why you had two lights from the same direction, one high, and one low? I see the one high is the catchlight, but I see no evidence of a light down low... are you sure it fired? This looks like a one light setup.

Nono, I had the lower 45 on my left. If I didn't use it, it would have been pitch black. You can faintly see the umbrella in my left eye on on the lower left corner of the iris (my left your right). I tried to emulate a reflector. Very low soft light. Keyword here: tried lol.

Also I have 2 measily 33" umbrellas. Do I need to buy 45" and 60" umbrellas, or can I just go directly to 60" for full body pictures?

Hmmm, I don't see it in your eye. And you have it at 1/16 which is higher power than your key light? The light that is there looks like it is probably reflecting off your shirt from the key. Are you sure you don't have a sync issue or something?

It depends on how many people you are shooting and/or how soft you want the light to be. I only have a small portable umbrella that I can fit in my camera bag and it's served me fine for up to two people. I would say continue using it until you start running into situations where you need a larger light source.

Hmmm, I don't see it in your eye. And you have it at 1/16 which is higher power than your key light? The light that is there looks like it is probably reflecting off your shirt from the key. Are you sure you don't have a sync issue or something?

I have it backwards. The taller light is 1/16 and the lower light is 1/32. Im not 100% sure it fired. Now you have me questioning it.

I think its really nice! You just need a midrange and white bump, so your eyeballs are white and not gray :D

Even at 1/32 on a weaker flash, I think it would be filling more than it already is assuming the flashes are close to the same distance from you. It looks like it didn't fire to me. However, the single light portrait is nice too!

Even at 1/32 on a weaker flash, I think it would be filling more than it already is assuming the flashes are close to the same distance from you. It looks like it didn't fire to me. However, the single light portrait is nice too!

Thank you.

You can use a picture frame hanging from the ceiling to get your frame right and your plane of focus down, then place your head in the frame making sure your eyes/eye are in between the two sides of the picture frame.

How did you trigger your shutter? If you have one, make a DIY modeling light and set up single focus point on your eye.
Try using any lamp, for focus, next to you. Have it close enough to switch off before exposure, or use a fast enough shutter peed to kill it. You can pick up a super cheap foot switch for any lamp too.

Amazon.com: 3-Outlet Surge Light Foot Switch: Electronics

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You can use a picture frame hanging from the ceiling to get your frame right and your plane of focus down, then place your head in the frame making sure your eyes/eye are in between the two sides of the picture frame.

I don't understand what you mean here.

Edit: Ohhhh Nevermind. Yes, that is actually a very clever idea!.

How did you trigger your shutter?

Remote

If you have one, make a DIY modeling light and set up single focus point on your eye.
Try using any lamp, for focus, next to you. Have it close enough to switch off before exposure, or use a fast enough shutter peed to kill it. You can pick up a super cheap foot switch for any lamp too.

Again, not picking up what you are putting down. How would I focus my camera? Can I do it with a remote?

How did you trigger your shutter?

Remote

If you have one, make a DIY modeling light and set up single focus point on your eye.

Again, not picking up what you are putting down. How would I focus my camera? Can I do it with a remote?

Yes you can. Set the focus point you want and make sure it will be on you eye. Make sure the camera is set on autofocus. Use your DIY modeling light to aid autofocus and snap away.

Getting the focus point right on your eye is the hard part though. I noticed if you have a white wall behind the camera you can actually see the focus point, through the lens, light up red when you hit the trigger. If you can see the focus point through the lens then it's on your eye.

Remote

Yes you can. Set the focus point you want and make sure it will be on you eye. Make sure the camera is set on autofocus. Use your DIY modeling light to aid autofocus and snap away.

Getting the focus point right on your eye is the hard part though. I noticed if you have a white wall behind the camera you can actually see the focus point, through the lens, light up red when you hit the trigger. If you can see the focus point through the lens then it's on your eye.

You are like, a mcguiver of photography lol.

I cant get my camera to AF with the remote though. Is it because I shoot AF-C?

Edit:Answered my own question. Yes, it will not AF in AF-C... only AF-S

Pretty damned good for a first-time effort!!!! Seriously man. Pretty decent!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back