Selfie Sunset Portrait

BlissMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I love when blindly snapped pics turn out cool. Comments appreciate, and thanks for looking!
Taken with GoPro Hero3+ Silver:

1) Fill flash or a reflector or something is almost mandatory in sunset photos. Ideally a warmed one like with a gold umbrella or a gel (both hand holdable or proppable in a nearby bush). You're too dark otherwise and the eye goes everywhere except the subject
2) The sun looks terrible here. A) it's splitting you up as a couple which makes it look like a divorce themed photo or something rather than a cute couples photo, if you see what I mean. And B) the sun's exposure is way blown out and thus you can see the individual rings of pixels in the halo on the guy's cheek. This makes it look digital and 10x worse than whatever it would be otherwise.

If you took the same photo 5 minutes later with no sun glaring in the middle of your faces it would have been infinitely better. Add in the fill flash from #1, and you'd have a classic sunset couples image to put on your desk, with a selfie arm twist to it.

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy your perspective and critiques of the photo.

I think I like the pic for all the reasons you don't. It's distracting, its not perfectly composed, and little effort was contributed in this capture. I see two vibrant happy young adults having a great time, and the spark of light resembles a positive energy between them, not a symbol of separation.

That said it would be cool to go back in time and take the photo with your suggestions as a comparison. I really like the idea of having reflected light.

1) Fill flash or a reflector or something is almost mandatory in sunset photos. Ideally a warmed one like with a gold umbrella or a gel (both hand holdable or proppable in a nearby bush). You're too dark otherwise and the eye goes everywhere except the subject
2) The sun looks terrible here. A) it's splitting you up as a couple which makes it look like a divorce themed photo or something rather than a cute couples photo, if you see what I mean. And B) the sun's exposure is way blown out and thus you can see the individual rings of pixels in the halo on the guy's cheek. This makes it look digital and 10x worse than whatever it would be otherwise.

If you took the same photo 5 minutes later with no sun glaring in the middle of your faces it would have been infinitely better. Add in the fill flash from #1, and you'd have a classic sunset couples image to put on your desk, with a selfie arm twist to it.

It's a gopro shot, not a portrait sitting. Most people don't carry a 5 in 1 reflector with their gopros.

There are technical faults but it's a good "spur of the moment" shot.

It's a gopro shot, not a portrait sitting. Most people don't carry a 5 in 1 reflector with their gopros.
I realize that. I often take cell phone pictures when I don't have any camera or equipment. You use whatever you have. Okay.

That doesn't make it any better of a photo just because you didn't have good equipment on hand.

If you were looking to buy a house and it was falling down, and the contractor said "Well sorry, all I had on me at the time was duct tape, so I just held it together with that! It's the best I could do at the time!" would you just be like "Oh okay well in that case, it would be unfair for me to judge it compared to ones held up with nails, and this is actually a great job. Where do I sign?"

If the OP likes it specifically for it's faults though, then okay.

If you were looking to buy a house and it was falling down, and the contractor said "Well sorry, all I had on me at the time was duct tape, so I just held it together with that! It's the best I could do at the time!" would you just be like "Oh okay well in that case, it would be unfair for me to judge it compared to ones held up with nails, and this is actually a great job. Where do I sign?"

Thats a terrible analogy.

If you gave me an egg and some flour you can't be upset when I don't make a steak.

I would say I like the pic despite its faults.

Thanks runnah, kind of my thought...an interesting snap shot.

I googled "What is Art" and the results are: "the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power."
Some people see art as a perfectly constructed and composed image, and some appreciate a simpler concept of art. I see beauty and emotion, you see technical flaws. Its good I'm not nor do I want to be a professional.

I like these type of fun photos. Not everything has to be about technique and quality.

Geez, Gavjenks went a little overboard. It's a quick, fun, snapshot from a device that doesn't even have a display. It's a really cool shot.

I like it! Did you crop it in or is there a setting on Go Pro's to make it less extra wide? I've only used a borrowed Go Pro once and I L-O-V-E-D it!

I really like this. It isn't supposed to be a pro shot. Just a nice share.

I personally am learning that where I am an expert (which isn't particularly photography) it is better to put comments in a way that make people think they did well, but if you ever want to make your image better, do this, this and this.....

Not only do people take on board your critique better, but nobody ends up looking like a knob.

From a technical standpoint, yes this could have been done better with a DSLR, reflector and off board flash, and someone else to take the shot (I personally never really like selfies) but it is a GoPro and a nice sunset and a nice couple. They will remember the moment whenever they look at the photo and thats probably why it was taken.

Great shot and well done getting the shot blindly :)

Wow, Gavjenks strikes again! He is usually more negative about others photos, doesn't seem to carry the ability to see what a beautifully captured photo stands for. Just interest him to pick and choose anything he doesn't like about it which of course does not make you an experienced photographer, actually, you appear the complete opposite! There are plenty of free online courses you can take there mate, just to learn about photography I think you could really use it. Besides, this is a beautiful piece of work. Peace!

I like the shot. This tends to be more than half of my photography, and These are the shots that tell a story. Photography doesn't have to be a production, it's what makes you happy. That's all that matters.

Wow, thanks for all the supportive comments everyone! Yea, I liked it, thought it was unusual and interesting and was curious others opinions. I know everyone has differing taste, in fact my wife is my number 1 critique and general doesn't like these types of pictures.

striving4mediocrity - No Crop. I believe it was shot at wide angle. There are three options: Wide, Medium, and Narrow. I've been practicing and becoming more and more aware of the general field of view. I've been having a lot of fun with it. Its always a bit of a surprise to shoot a ton of footage and check it out later to see how it turns out. It kind of takes me back to shooting B&W film.

Thanks Again!

Most reactions

Back