Selfportrait with my sexy thai girlfriend by Pascal Riben

not trying to create a great debate but just curious as to why some pubic hairs would make it NFSW?

Because for some of us, the "W" part of NSFW is with companies who have VERY stringent policies about what we can and can't use our computers for. I work for city government--if I viewed that picture on my work computer today, I'd probably be looking for another job tomorrow. And TPF would probably be placed on the ever-growing list of websites we can't access.

It's definitely NSFW. If you think it's SFW you're not looking at the top half of the frame. I almost like the picture. My problem with it is that it reads somewhere between posed and casual. Is this a semi-abstract of a woman simply in the act of wrapping a towel around herself? Or is this a formal pose?

If the former, the frame needs to be looser, and the towel needs to be held less formally, and to convey a sense of motion. Not fast motion, just the simple motions of drying, of wrapping, after bathing.

If the latter, I think the frame and the towel should be more formal, more structured. The towel perhaps a little straighter, a little, a little tighter.

Either way, I like the turned up foot/toes. It adds a little touch of humor.

Thanks for your full comment amolitor! This is a formal pose, with the light of the sun comming by the window.I made many with my shadow on her naked body and only one with the towel.

I am not sure about the title, it is a matter of taste, and I really do not care about titles. But on a serious note I think this image is heavily influenced by the oriental (and probably Japanese) sexual tradition. It certainly has some physical brutality of a Japanese black and white cinema love scene (even if it was shot in Bangkok). But I can give you a real story behind this image if you wish. (Even if Pascal is not interested in an image story as such).
In a pre "family values first" post-war capaign era in Japan the traditional attitude towards sex in a rural Japanese village was quite different to what we know about Japan now. A woman who would feel cold or lonely or just wanted sex, could leave the door of her house wide open for the night. And that literally meant that anyone could walk in and have sex with her.
You can see the door in this image, and the girl, and the man. What else do you need? Details??
I might be totally off the mark here. But that is how I see things. But what really makes this shot to me is the fabric, the rough texture of it.

What an imagination! Thanks for this beautiful comment! I am interested but a story behind the image, but of course, it's your story and not mine! For me is a simple graphic photo, ok for my gallery The selfportrait game, where there are many "shadow selfportrait", but none with naked girl.

Anyway, thanks again for your comment and your analyze sashbar!

No offence but this just looks like your gf look a picture when you got out of the shower, I am not seeing much of an artistic slant on it. Obviously that's just my opinion.

Oh, and trim that sh*t!! Trust me, she will like it alot more than when your rocking a bush :)

I rather like it. It's subtle and mysterious. Really like the light/shadow play on the fabric. It's a nice fine art nude, imo. Playful and not the least bit vulgar.

Just read sashbar's comment--that is really interesting and gives the image an entirely different impact.

Thank you for your comment jenko. Yes, sashbar's comment is great: maybe too, I have a little bit the feeling he has stolen my picture!

I don't get it as well. I'm quite new to photography and I think I'm not prepared to understand this kind of art.

I love taking photos of thai girls but my idea of portrait is completely different. With the words "sexy" and "NSFW" in the thread I was expecting something a bit different.

I don't get it as well. I'm quite new to photography and I think I'm not prepared to understand this kind of art.

I love taking photos of thai girls but my idea of portrait is completely different. With the words "sexy" and "NSFW" in the thread I was expecting something a bit different.

Thank you for your comment IntrepidB :) Well, to be honest, if I was you, with this title I would have expect something COMPLETELY different :mrgreen: Sorry for this so so title...

I rather like it. It's subtle and mysterious. Really like the light/shadow play on the fabric. It's a nice fine art nude, imo. Playful and not the least bit vulgar.

Just read sashbar's comment--that is really interesting and gives the image an entirely different impact.

Thank you for your comment jenko. Yes, sashbar's comment is great: maybe too, I have a little bit the feeling he has stolen my picture!

That's the beauty of a true art: you can steal it's story and make it your own. Unlike photo reporting and documentary, where the story will never belong to you. That's why I like your pictures so much Pasal.
HCB realised it long ago. No wonder he had no interest at all in factual photography. :)

That's the beauty of a true art: you can steal it's story and make it your own. Unlike photo reporting and documentary, where the story will never belong to you. That's why I like your pictures so much Pasal.
HCB realised it long ago. No wonder he had no interest at all in factual photography. :)

Thanks! And I'm happy we have the same mentor!

HCB: Les européens - Paris, Maison de la photographie

Most reactions

Back