Sell my DSLR to buy an ILC?

Rafterman

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
I am an enthusiast photographer. I have no desire to go pro. I just really enjoy the hobby.

That being said, I'm getting tired of lugging my D7000 around everywhere and I'm strongly considering selling it, my 4 lenses, and shoe-mount flash to buy a Fujinon X-Pro 1 with a lens or two. I want the benefits of an APS-C sensor and the ability to change lenses. What I don't want is the excessive weight on my shoulder and the look of being a "Pro" everywhere I go. For example, at my buddy's birthday party last Sunday, other people had normal looking ILCs or fixed-lens compacts, and I'm shooting with my D7000 that looks gargantuan and just plain out-of-place by comparison. Same thing happens when I'm at a museum, on the street, etc. I don't want to look "overdressed" for the occasion, so to speak. I don't need a camera that big, but I don't want to sacrifice image quality either.

Is switching to the X-Pro 1 a good idea, or are there reasons I've overlooked why I shouldn't be so ready to ditch my DSLR?

Me personally, I wouldn't worry about looking "overdressed". If it's just a matter of how much gear you're carrying and you really prefer agood smaller camera, then that's just a personal preference.

However, if you love the image quality and don't care what you're carrying in comparison to others, why give up the DSLR?

Nothing says you have to be a pro to use and enjoy a nice camera.

If you want the best image quality.. DLSR! If you want convenience... then other! It all depends on what you are willing to accept... you can get good shots with a superzoom point and shoot if you know what you are doing.. but it easier with a DLSR!

I am an enthusiast photographer. I have no desire to go pro. I just really enjoy the hobby.

Well if you are losing your enthusiasm then by all means rent or borrow and give it a whirl first.
Me adjusted to having a messenger bag everywhere I go with camera and a lens or two.
Feel naked without it now.
"For example, at my buddy's birthday party last Sunday, other people had normal looking ILCs or fixed-lens compacts, and I'm shooting with my D7000 that looks gargantuan and just plain out-of-place by comparison."

Confused are you talking photographic issues or some other issue? Like following what other's are doing or trying to fit in?
Are they enthusiast or pro too? If not they why the concern of what they are shooting.

"Same thing happens when I'm at a museum, on the street, etc. I don't want to look "overdressed" for the occasion, so to speak. "
Well personally I don't get the overdressed for occasion? As walking around town and at different events I see all kinds of bags,purses,backpacks,etc.. from many other's some photographer's some not with their books,iPad,Tablet,Phone,Mp3 player,etc..etc..
I don't need a camera that big, but I don't want to sacrifice image quality either

Well comes down to need and what is acceptable image results for you. For many wanting and needing High ISO and Maximum in Dynamic range have no choice but down the dslr path. If the smaller cameras fit that criteria then we all would be dumping our dslr's.

Also the other criteria is many of the smaller camera's have less accessories and lens choices. And generally a higher price paid for them.
And their sensors are less low light performers and sacrifice dynamic range. Along with AF speed FPS,etc..

We each have are own priorities and preferences. Things we are willing to sacrifice and things we will not.
For me tried the 4/3rds G1 and nice camera but with a headache inducing EVF smaller controls and very expensive ultra-wide since 4/3rds is 2x crop factor. Meant $900-$1000 to get a 9mm-14mm? 12mm? wide If I remember correctly. And no other lens choices so kind of shoe-horned into what they have.

Before making the switch I would buy into and seriously tryout that camera during the return/exchange period.
Before I would sell my dslr gear.

how about you keep the dslr for your personal photography and enjoyment and buy a point and shoot to take out to social gatherings like parties and bars. You won't get dslr quality, but it will fit in your pocket.

I had his dilemma recently and bought a Canon G15 for those "happy snappy moments at parties etc". It gives me a lot of he flexibility that I have with my DSLR but is small enough to go in Jeans pocket or wife's handbag. I'm sure there must be a Nikon equivalent.

My little camera gives great quality pics ( not DSLR standard) but good enough.

Hi Rafterman - if the D7000 is too big and heavy, you should switch. Most of the people giving advice above seem to assume you're going to a camera with a smaller sensor, or a camera with lower image quality, when you are not. With the Fuji X-Pro1, your image quality every bit as good as you're getting with your D7000. And, by ditching the mirror box, you'll save your neck and back.

X Pro1 examples: Flickr: The Fuji X-Pro1 Pool

X E1 examples: Flickr: The Fuji X-E1 by Fujifilm Pool

Nikon D7000 examples: Flickr: The NIKON D7000 CLUB Pool

If you do switch, I recommend the X-E1 rather than the X Pro1 - yes, you'd be giving up the optical viewfinder - but I'd much rather have a built-in flash and twin control dials. And it's a few hundred dollars less :)

To be fair, Nikon does have a much wider selection of lenses. A search for "Fujifilm" in the camera lens category on Amazon comes back with 239 results - while a search for "Nikkor" comes back with 753.

And, with the same size sensor, Fuji X lenses will be just as big as your Nikkors. You can't escape the laws of physics.

Best prices for the Fujis from a reputable seller are from digitalrev - $1079 for the X-Pro1 and $729 for the X-E1.

Good luck with your decision!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It's an interesting one, All other things being equal (I know they're not but in theory they could be) one of the real advantages the DSLR has is the dedicated autofocus and metering array, can a sensor equal the performance of that yet?

...or should we all buy Sony SLTs?

Looking like a pro because you have a DSLR is a statement I disagree with, walking in downtown Toronto on the weekend I hardly see P&S or Mirrorless cameras, its like a sea of Nikon and Canon DSLRs.
Today the norm is DSLR and to me people with P&S look outdated.
Saying that its really a matter of personal choice, I heard the Pro 1 is an awesome camera but is very slow to focus, I held one for a minute and indeed found it very slow to focus compare to my D7000 but I wouldn't call it a scientific test. It felt super solid in the hand and indeed is lighter then a DLSR.
The draw back is your lens range is very limited and they are not the fastest lenses especially compared to Pro Canons or Pro Nikons.
Schlepping heavy DSLR with extra lenses is indeed a pain in the A_S but for me its a price to pay for my hobby and I pay it with a smile.
For you the Fuji just might be what you are looking for, either way I think you cant go overly wrong with the D7000 or the Fuji, each has its pluses and minuses and both makes very good pictures.

Good luck.

how about you keep the dslr for your personal photography and enjoyment and buy a point and shoot to take out to social gatherings like parties and bars. You won't get dslr quality, but it will fit in your pocket.

I had his dilemma recently and bought a Canon G15 for those "happy snappy moments at parties etc". It gives me a lot of he flexibility that I have with my DSLR but is small enough to go in Jeans pocket or wife's handbag. I'm sure there must be a Nikon equivalent.

My little camera gives great quality pics ( not DSLR standard) but good enough.
Actually I think these 2 statements are very true.
I also have the Nikon G15 and while I dont use it a lot I will take it to occasions like parties and when I dont feel like schleping the D7000 and all the accessories with me.
Its a amazing little camera with a fantastic lens and while the image quality is slightly less impressive then my D7000 it is still amazing and is the perfect companion for the times I feel like leaving my D7000 at home and all for less then 400$

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions thus far. Switching to a totally new camera system is a BIG decision, which is why I'm thinking this through and weighing all my options carefully.

The wide selection of lenses from Nikon vs. Fujifilm is a huge factor that I haven't neglected to notice. Plus, as someone mentioned above, the Fujinon lenses are NOT cheap, with even the 18-55mm kit lens costing $700 if you buy it separately. Also, since the X-Pro 1 and the X-E1 use APS-C sensors, I realize the lenses will be just as big around as those for my D7000. I do appreciate the fact that if I wanted, I could go to my local camera shop with just $100 and pick up a classic lens that will work flawlessly with my camera and produce great images. On the flip-side, there are adapters available that will let me mount not only Leica lenses to the Fuji, but also Carl Zeiss and Nikon lenses according to Fujifilm X-mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Does the D7000 focus faster than the Fuji? Absolutely. From what I've read lately though, the most recent firmware update for the X-Pro 1 and the X-E1 has improved their AF speed quite a bit. Not DSLR speed, but much better than it was before. Most people frown upon using these cameras for sports, but I don't shoot sports. The fastest moving thing I shoot are birds, which do stand still for me from time-to-time. :)

As far as carrying weight goes, I tried something different today. My camera bag is also my daily work bag, as I sometimes shoot photos for the department I work for. Normally, I'd bring all my lenses to work with me, killing my shoulder in the process. All I've got now is just my 18-70 and 35, leaving the heavy 70-300 and 85 at home. It's a much more tolerable load to carry around, so at least the weight issue is somewhat remedied for now.

I've thought about just picking up a $100 or $200 compact for vacations, parties, etc., but you definitely get what you pay for. I know I wouldn't be happy with the lack of extra features, no interchangeable lenses, poorer low-light performance, etc. of a really small pocket camera.

That being said, I'm getting tired of lugging my D7000 around everywhere and I'm strongly considering selling it, my 4 lenses, and shoe-mount flash to buy a Fujinon X-Pro 1 with a lens or two. I want the benefits of an APS-C sensor and the ability to change lenses. What I don't want is the excessive weight on my shoulder and the look of being a "Pro" everywhere I go. For example, at my buddy's birthday party last Sunday, other people had normal looking ILCs or fixed-lens compacts, and I'm shooting with my D7000 that looks gargantuan and just plain out-of-place by comparison. Same thing happens when I'm at a museum, on the street, etc. I don't want to look "overdressed" for the occasion, so to speak. I don't need a camera that big, but I don't want to sacrifice image quality either.

Is switching to the X-Pro 1 a good idea, or are there reasons I've overlooked why I shouldn't be so ready to ditch my DSLR?
Your thoughts are quite normal, for the same reason I am not using my Pentax most of the time. Your choice of ILC seems very good one.

The X pro1 is a match for your DSLR take a look at Damien Lovegrove thats all he uses it is so good, i have seen masive prints and they were fantastic

they are not the fastest lenses especially compared to Pro Canons or Pro Nikons.
Fujifilm does have a 35mm f/1.4 that gets rave reviews. It's $600, but I've already got that lens down in the budget as one of the first 1 or 2 I'd own with the new camera. The other nice prime lens offerings from them include:

• 14mm f/2.8
  • 18mm f/2
  • 60mm f/2.4 Macro
  • 27mm f/2.8 pancake

Most reactions

Back