selling online, questions.

Mashburn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently changed my website to 500PX because of the ease of use and pricing. but I of course started questioning if I should sell some of my prints there. and now I have more questions then what I started. so maybe someone here can help me out in the direction I need to go in.

if I sell what resolution size should I upload? seems 500PX sells their largest print at 300 PPI. but should I go larger?

benefits of selling as a license vs non-license? If I sold as a license to them, I know that means I cannot sell the picture anywhere else. but what if I wanted to post the picture in forums? what if a magazine person approached me, do I have to send them to 500PX?

do I upload my pictures without the watermark? that way the online site does not have to track me down?

I understand some places you have to get licenses. and I understand if someone is in the picture you have to get a license from them. So should I start thinking of changing my contract around to saying something along the lines of, "you allow me rights blah blah blah"?

what other sites are out there? what are the benefits and challenges to selling on them vs the others?

The pixels dimensions (image resolution) of your photos AND the print resolution (pixels per inch. ppi) determine the print size.
To make a print larger you use a lower print resolution - fewer pixels per inch.
Example:
You have a photo that has image resolution (pixel dimensions) of 4000 x 3000 pixels.
4000 px divided by 300 ppi = 13.33 inches
3000 px / 300 ppi = 10 inches
4000 px / 200 ppi = 20 inches
3000 px / 200 ppi = 15 inches

If you sell a license to a photo, you can word the license so you can indeed license the same photo to other buyers.
If 500PX sells a royalty-free license they had written, you need to read the license terms so you know what usage 50PX is selling. Royalty-free licenses are only rarely exclusive to a single buyer. http://static.500px.net/docs/contributor_licensing_agreement.pdf
http://static.500px.net/docs/commercial_licensing_agreement.pdf

If you have people in your photos you need to be familiar with the various ins and outs of model releases - a book length subject.
In fact I just finished re-reading the book for about the 14th time:
A Digital Photographer's Guide to Model Releases: Making the Best Business Decisions with Your Photos of People, Places and Things

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Did you look at the Terms? and not just the 'Basically' blurbs in the right hand column. I'd suggest in particular looking at the section titled Content Submitted or Made Available For Inclusion on the Service . The Terms allow the website to distribute and redistribute and sublicense etc. etc.

If you do a search about 500px and China there's info. on what happened this past summer/fall when apparently users' photos were provided to a company in China without their knowledge or permission. (Seems to me that the Terms may have allowed for that, and that changes could be made without notifying site users.) If you search there are a number of 'articles' written by Lisa L. who apparently works for 500px. Site users protested and there seem to have been changes made since.
500px Launches Its Photo Sharing And Licensing Platform In China
500Px In Hot Water For Creating A Chinese Sister Site - DIY Photography

You mentioned licenses but I think you mean releases. If you intend to license usage see if a site requires you have those signed by the subjects and/or property owners. Try American Society of Media Photographers or PPA for info. on releases.

Please get informed and look at Terms & Conditions before you allow a company to have usage of your photos so you know what exactly you're signing up for. Most seem to want unlimited usage meaning they could keep reselling but the photographer may only get a one time payment.

Did you look at the Terms? and not just the 'Basically' blurbs in the right hand column. I'd suggest in particular looking at the section titled Content Submitted or Made Available For Inclusion on the Service . The Terms allow the website to distribute and redistribute and sublicense etc. etc.

If you do a search about 500px and China there's info. on what happened this past summer/fall when apparently users' photos were provided to a company in China without their knowledge or permission. (Seems to me that the Terms may have allowed for that, and that changes could be made without notifying site users.) If you search there are a number of 'articles' written by Lisa L. who apparently works for 500px. Site users protested and there seem to have been changes made since.
500px Launches Its Photo Sharing And Licensing Platform In China
500Px In Hot Water For Creating A Chinese Sister Site - DIY Photography

You mentioned licenses but I think you mean releases. If you intend to license usage see if a site requires you have those signed by the subjects and/or property owners. Try American Society of Media Photographers or PPA for info. on releases.

Please get informed and look at Terms & Conditions before you allow a company to have usage of your photos so you know what exactly you're signing up for. Most seem to want unlimited usage meaning they could keep reselling but the photographer may only get a one time payment.
thanks. there is three methods of use for purchasing. online, print, and then buy the picture with intent to sell (and they only have to purchase once.)

my thing is right now I am making zero dollars. I understand someone else may make 10,000$+++ on image and I might make just a 1,000$ or less. but the thing is at least I got something instead of nothing. only time I make money is from weddings and family pictures. all my nature, light painting, stuff never makes anything. because no one wants to buy it, they just want to view it.

thank you to you and KMH for the replies. they are helpful.

I'll continue to research until I know I am 100% good with a decision.

Most reactions

Back