Selling Prints

I've been happy with MPIX. You gotta try it out. Print a picture at a bunch of different labs. See which one is best.

I'm goint to try printing a couple of photos at both Mpix and a local lab.
Thats a good idea.

I think you will be impressed with the quality and the attention to detail (like packaging and quickness)...

I would recommend that you try a few of their different print types like the Pearlescent and Matte finishes, along with the lustre coating.

On the website that I am selling prints of my photographs should I add a watermark to the thumbnails for added security? I have a text mark on the large full size but should i put a small copyright mark in the corner of the thumbnails??
Added security?
Watermarks don't add security. It just lets people just know who it is they're stealing from.
I agree.
I'm fairly certain that I could remove most watermarks with little to no effort if I was so motivated.
Now the marks that cover the entire photo are different but then they take away too much from the photo IMHO.

A lot of the pros I've worked around (briefly) utilize Mpix, EzPrints or Bay Photo. Costco and Sam's Club, while reasonably priced, may not produce the same consistent quality as some of the premium labs.

"On the website that I am selling prints of my photographs should I add a watermark to the thumbnails for added security? I have a text mark on the large full size but should i put a small copyright mark in the corner of the thumbnails??"

A better solution would be putting lo-res images on your site, which makes it almost impossible to produce a quality print from.

I ordered 4 prints from Mpix. Two on the E-Surface Paper, one w/ Lustre Coating. The other two on Metallic Paper, one w/ Luster Coating.

The prints should be here in a few days so I'll be able to see the differences.

What kind of paper do you have your photographs printed on?

I ordered 4 prints from Mpix. Two on the E-Surface Paper, one w/ Lustre Coating. The other two on Metallic Paper, one w/ Luster Coating.

The prints should be here in a few days so I'll be able to see the differences.

What kind of paper do you have your photographs printed on?
Kodak, Ilford, Fuji, Hanemuhle, Moab, Museo, Innova, and Canson Infinity.

Have you considered using an Epsom r1900 or r2880 printer? They use archival inks that will last 300 years under glass. They print up to 13x19 and if your monitor is calibrated the prints should be spot on. Granted they cost 600 to 800 dollars.

It's not listed on their "Shipping Options and Costs" page!

AdoramaPix

Yeah I didn't see it either. If you trust the quality of the lab you use, isn't it easier to have the lab ship to your client directly instead of paying the lab to ship the photo to you and then you in turn have to mail the photo out to the customer. Second situation you're paying for shipping 2x right??

I know you can have them ship to wherever you want... but in my opinion, I'd rather my own shipping label used, and have personally verified everything was perfect before I sent it along to a customer.

Is selling prints on DA worth it or am I better going somewhere elce? Does anyone starting out ever acturly make much money selling prints? Would like to sell my things on something a little like eBay where I can ship the item out myself and make sure everything is looking great and in the correct kind of frame, although don't want to sell on eBay because there isn't really a market on there for good prints.

Would love some advice and hear about other peoples experiances.

Hi Marie - My site, Image Revolver (Image Revolver - Gallery Style Framed Art Prints, Giclee Photo Prints, Canvas Prints), sells art and photography prints. You are more than welcome to submit work to the site. It's important to note that submissions will go up for public (but anonymous) review prior to being accepted in order to ensure quality control. Once submissions are accepted, all photos are watermarked for your protection and we offer a number of great tools to help you market your work to the public (social netwoking stuff primarily). Hope this helps! --yis

for small to medium prints - 8x12 up thru about 16x20 - i use AdoramaPix.com. they're located in NYC, and i have yet to find a lab that can beat their combination of price, service, and quality. they are extremely consistent, prices are very reasonable, shipping is cheap, and their customer service is second to none. i've tried other labs, but i always go back to Adorama. my customers love the prints, and i love the prices and the speed of their service.

Most reactions

Back