Semi-Easy question

dragonsbb16

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a semi easy question...I currently use PHOTODEX - Photo Producer to generate Slideshow EXE's and DVDs to my clients. I have been doing this for about 6 months now. So far things have been great....but ihave heard through the grapevine that some of my clients have been able to "unpack" and get all the digital images from the Slideshow? How in the heck can that be possible. I have tried every wihich way...to duplicate the problem...but i cant seem too. That only way that i have been able to do is to find a video software utility and do a screen shot...but you lose quality....Is there something out that can unpack these files.if so can you list it please so i can better protect myself from this in the future. Thank you for all your help or advice.

Do you know for sure they are getting them from the files of the dvd or maybe they are using a capture program? or possibly using it to get files with a dvd or cd burning program?

Unfortunately for an IT expert (I consider myself one) it's going to be childsplay to reverse-engineer any methods. Your objective is to display work to these clients in a convenient manner, and your main protection from theft and misuse is the holding of copyright over this content.

Reverse engineering or hacking or perhaps just capturing images which have a clear copyright notice that their usage is for viewing in the original format only is a crime everywhere. Particularly in the continental US where the DMCA 1998 toughened up a lot of grey areas relating to protection of content. I am not an expert on US copyright, so I will stop there.

However, you've found out that they have unpacked these files - your concern should be why and what for. I would recommend getting a legal representative to review the CD/whatever and draft you a letter to a senior person in the organisation, gently asking what is going on.

There isn't a method out there which can totally protect content which is designed to be displayed on a variety of computers, so your recourse should be within the law and what you can find out. Obviously you don't want to be too heavy handed and get a bad name for yourself, but people will understand you protecting your hard work.

Good luck, let us know if you have any more detail.

Rob

Most reactions

New Topics

Back