sending out film for processing?

rgassert

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I used to do black and white film/print developing a lot when I was in high school and now, 15+ years later, I am trying to get back into it. I was able to set up a darkroom in my basement and am about to get started. I was wondering though, does anyone regularly send their film out for processing instead of doing it themselves? I remember what a pain in the butt developing film was, and I remember that you had to be really precise with the temperature of the chemicals. I don't have a ton of time to devote to this revived hobby unfortunately, and I really don't want to spend the time I do have developing film. Do you guys just find it easier to do it yourselves? If you do send it out, do you have any recommendations for places that do it by mail? Thanks!

-Rachel

I love developing mine. Of course I'm only 6 months into it. 120 and 4x5... I am though sending all my color negative and slide film out.

My darkroom is 85% complete.

I've only ever had to mail Super 8 film out for processing, for my stills we have a wonderful lab in Atlanta. It's called E6 and they can do pretty much anything. I'm currently in the process of getting my school's darkroom up and running again, it's been dormant for a couple of years. I'll only be able to do B&W only, so color stuff goes to the lab. I'm not sure if I'll ever send B&W film to the lab mainly because I plan on shooting large format, and using the zone system means that you have to change development times for your stuff to come out right, and most labs charge $1 for ever stop you push or pull.

I used to do black and white film/print developing a lot when I was in high school and now, 15+ years later, I am trying to get back into it. I was able to set up a darkroom in my basement and am about to get started. I was wondering though, does anyone regularly send their film out for processing instead of doing it themselves? I remember what a pain in the butt developing film was, and I remember that you had to be really precise with the temperature of the chemicals. I don't have a ton of time to devote to this revived hobby unfortunately, and I really don't want to spend the time I do have developing film. Do you guys just find it easier to do it yourselves? If you do send it out, do you have any recommendations for places that do it by mail? Thanks!

-Rachel
Hi Rachel. Maybe you should reconsider this film developing issue. Yes, it is a time consuming, but this is the most important part of the process beside the exposure. In practical terms exposure and development are fused together into one integral process and this translates as: nobody in the world can better develop your b&w negatives than you. Sure, it takes time and effort and sure it will give you utmost satisfaction.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back