Sensor cleaning, Eclipse and Nikon...

Stradawhovious

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In purchasing my new (used) Nikon D3, I noticed the sensor was filthy. I also noticed I was out of sensor swabs.

After ordering some of the "Photographic Solutions" sensor swabs, premoistened with their eclipse fluid (which I've been using on the D7000 for years) I read that the standard Eclipse formula can be harmful to the coating that Nikon puts on the "sensor", and a replacement product called E2 was recommended in it's stead.

Since then, in a panic (as ya do) in trying to find some substantiation to this, I can no longer find this product available from Photographic solutions.

Now not being the only person on planet earth with a Nikon D3 series body, I would make the assumption that Photographic Solutions has since updated their formula to be Nikon safe and discontinued the "E2" product in its entirety. This assumption is further validated by these articles not being dated any further than about 2011...

Does that assumption hold water? I'd hate to have a thousand dollar paper weight after going after the "sensor" with these swabs...

Yes, E2 has been discontinued. I called Photographic Solutions a couple of years ago to ask the same question and was told at that time that E2 had been discontinued.

Yes, E2 has been discontinued. I called Photographic Solutions a couple of years ago to ask the same question and was told at that time that E2 had been discontinued.

Thanks. That's what I assumed, but paranoia and I have a long, sordid relationship.

baby wipes and compressed air.
problem solved.
Must be the Aloe baby wipes's right? To make the UV filter nice and flexible.

I think he's joking ...

I would hope so, although I've heard of people using some pretty crazy things to clean their sensor.

If not, I will be sure to hold the can of compressed air upside down when drying the aloe off my low pass filter.

baby wipes and compressed air.
problem solved.
Must be the Aloe baby wipes's right? To make the UV filter nice and flexible.

I think he's joking ...

I would hope so, although I've heard of people using some pretty crazy things to clean their sensor.

If not, I will be sure to hold the can of compressed air upside down when drying the aloe off my low pass filter.

joking. totally joking.

really though, dont do that thing I said.

I mean it.

joking. totally joking.

really though, dont do that thing I said.

I mean it.

You know, in an effort to have an open mind, I searched the interwebz for this, and lo and behold there is an article where someone recommends using baby wipes and Popsicle sticks to clean a DSLR sensor. Says he's been doing it for years.

[shudder]

You know, in an effort to have an open mind, I searched the interwebz for this, and lo and behold there is an article where someone recommends using baby wipes and Popsicle sticks to clean a DSLR sensor. Says he's been doing it for years.

[shudder]

he probably takes cr*p photos too

ooh ... did I make a pun ?

I use the Eclipse and Sensor Swab. The only recommendation I now see is with the Sony a7ii and a7rii they recommend the Areoclipse as it has less methanol. So yea, with the D3 you are good to go with your Eclipse.

If this were mine, I'd probably start with distilled water to see if that would work. Couldn't hurt.

Most reactions

Back