Seriously need some help

cindyg2024

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok - I really need some serious adivice/recommendations from all of you on here.

Here's the scenario. My Mom is getting some money from my grandmother's estate and has said that once she figures out exactly how much she gets after taxes and what not she is planning on giving me a little bit of money. I don't know how much it will, so I am just going to use an undetermined figure here. Let's say, I get about $1500-$2000.

If I get at least $1000 I want to upgrade to a better camera. I honestly don't know if I want to go up to a SLR or DSLR yet since I am still new, but would like something with plenty of options.

It was suggested to me to buy the Canon PowerShot S5 IS camera since it is definitely a step up, but a little easier to use than a DSLR.

What is your suggestion? Also, what accessories would you recommend getting? I hear a lot of you talking about filters, but I'm completely stupid when it comes to them. What kind of filter would I need to order? I love to shoot anything from still shots of people to motorcycle racing. I definitely need a good zoom to be able to get some of the close racing shots and will obviously need something with a fast shutter speed.

If you don't feel comfortable recommending a specific brand/model, will you at least give me feedback on some of the minimum requirements the camera should have? (such as shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc)

Thanks for your help and suggestions on this.

Personally, I feel that if you are even semi-serious about photography...you will be much better off with an SLR camera than a non-SLR digicam. The S5 IS, is surely a great camera but most people would eventually find that it would limit them. An SLR is part of an interchangeable system...so there are always more options (if you have the money).

As far as ease of use...you can use an SLR just as easily as any digi-cam. So don't worry about that.

I really suggest that you go into a store and hold all the different models. Play with them and see how they work and how they feel in your hands. You may find that a DSLR is way too big for you...although, the S5 IS, isn't much smaller than the small DSLR cameras.

As for accesories...I would suggest a Tripod, a Circular Polarizer (filter), and a hot-shoe flash unit.

I agree go with an slr it will allow you to go much further into photography than a point and shoot. Look into the D50/D40, they are good beginer DSLRs easy to use, lots of options, high quality photos, small yet not too small (personally I feel the Canon Rebels are way to small in my hand, its like Im holding a toy) and they are affordable,for $1000 you could get the body a couple lenses, a tripod, and a polarizer.

I agree go with an slr it will allow you to go much further into photography than a point and shoot. Look into the D50/D40, they are good beginer DSLRs easy to use, lots of options, high quality photos, small yet not too small (personally I feel the Canon Rebels are way to small in my hand, its like Im holding a toy) and they are affordable,for $1000 you could get the body a couple lenses, a tripod, and a polarizer.

d-50..... Are you saing that I could get a Nikon D50 or D40, a couple lenses, a tripod and a polarizer for $1000? Any certain place you use to order from? Or would this be right out of a store?

Has anybody ever ordered from www.fotoconnection.com ? I was just wondering cause I did a search for the Nikon D40 and they have listed: Nikon D40 DSLR w/18-55mm lens $449.00 and right now if you order a digital camera through them you get a free case, cleaning kit, screen protector and tripod.

When you have a bit more clarity of what you want a camera for, research (a lot) reviews on the cameras on your short list. Then go to a shop, look at them side-by-side and hold each one. When in your hand, how easy is it to get to the main buttons, knobs and wheels, is the weight comfortable? I say this because I was dead set to get a Canon Rebel XTi until I held the Nikon D80.

The D40 would be a good camera to start with and be able to grow your skills. The value for money is quite reasonable. There are plenty of websites to search for reviews such as:
http://kenrockwell.com/tech/2007-05-what-camera.htm
http://www.bythom.com/d40review.htm
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40x/
and don't forget to do a search on TPF. Plenty of info here.

Good Luck

Has anybody ever ordered from www.fotoconnection.com ? I was just wondering cause I did a search for the Nikon D40 and they have listed: Nikon D40 DSLR w/18-55mm lens $449.00 and right now if you order a digital camera through them you get a free case, cleaning kit, screen protector and tripod.

I'd avoid them. See http://www.resellerratings.com/store/FotoConnection_1 for reviews. Apparently they're a bait-and-switch shop; others may have other opinions, but I stay far away from them. The price looks good - but the sad fact is that you're highly unlikely to actually receive the camera you order at that price. B&H is a much safer bet -- I also like Adorama.com.

Thanks guys for all the input. I think I am down to comparing the Canon Rebel XT and the D40.

Thanks guys for all the input. I think I am down to comparing the Canon Rebel XT and the D40.

Keep in mind that one of the biggest complaints about the D40 is that it is not compatible with a good amount of lenses. I am pretty sure this is because of the lack of an auto-focus motor in some of the older lenses but it might not be that big of a deal. :D

Again - thank you. I will keep that in mind.

Yeah stick with reputable companies when buying, B&H, Adorama, Calumet, Hunts. There are a ton of small shops primarily based out of NYC thatadvertise prices well below the going rate however in the end you get screwed and end up spending more than you would have somewhere else. I would go with a D50 to start its compatible with all Nikon lenses, has a 5 section auto focus (compared to the D40's three) and feels a bit nicer in your hand. The images it produces will be nearly identical to the D50, I have not looked at D50 prices in a while though but I bet they have comedown since the introductino of the D40.

One thing to realize is do not concern yourself with megapixels at all. MP values for point and shoots have no bearing on DLSR MP counts. Its the large sensor size in a DLSR that gives such great quality photos. You could buy a 10mp Point and shoot and its photos would not come close to the D50 or D40s photos and these cameras have 6.1 mps.

D-50 - Thank you so much.

I ordered the books Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson and The Digital Photography Book by ... (can't remember - something Sheldon?) and I hope they are here by Friday so I can read some more and really understand it all better.

Most reactions

Back