Serranía La Lindosa Del Guaviare

Donde

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
There is an area in Colombia where plate tectonics and volcanic activity have produced huge sandstone formations in the Serranía La Lindosa of Guaviare department. Over millennia local Indian populations produced pictograms on the many cliff faces. Unfortunately it is not possible to carbon date them because they were painted with mineral based iron oxide pigments but speculation for some ranges from as recently as the Spanish conquest to ten thousand years or possibly older. I visited the area last week.

33135612348_907a5e28cf_b.jpg

In one of the paintings there is an animal that could be a Giant Ground Sloth.

46286747614_6446e52834_b.jpg

There is speculation that another section was painted during the invasion by the Spanish Conquistadores and that the apparently frightened people face a Spanish war dog which the Conquistadores used to attack and kill the Indians. The Indians made traps of sharp spines to pierce the dogs' feet and deter them but the Spaniards devised iron paw protectors which may be what we see on the animal's feet.

46286749794_9b941852dd_b.jpg

Great information again, and a good set of images.

Thank you friends.

Remonds me of Magura Cave in Bulgaria, But gotta be more careful on those highlights.. Looks like a great place..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back