Setting the shutter to a half press

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've looked through my custom functions (on my 400D) and it does not seem to be an option, but I am wondering is there any camera (canon line of course)on the market that lets you set it so that the shutter triggors when you halfpress the shutter button?

I wonder because as its a totally electrical setup (ie no springloaded things to triggor off the press off the button) it would make macro work a lot easier where I am effectivly not metering settings (rather I let flash be dominant) and thus not in need of the auto exposure lock - but where pressing the shutter button can cause wabble problems when working handheld. So an ultra fine button for the shutter would make highmagnification work a lot simpler

get a remote shutter release

I've looked through my custom functions (on my 400D) and it does not seem to be an option, but I am wondering is there any camera (canon line of course)on the market that lets you set it so that the shutter triggors when you halfpress the shutter button?

I wonder because as its a totally electrical setup (ie no springloaded things to triggor off the press off the button) it would make macro work a lot easier where I am effectivly not metering settings (rather I let flash be dominant) and thus not in need of the auto exposure lock - but where pressing the shutter button can cause wabble problems when working handheld. So an ultra fine button for the shutter would make highmagnification work a lot simpler

If I understand your question right, you are wanting to move focusing off the shutter button and have the shutter trip at where focusing would start on the shutter button.

If this is correct, then the answer is no to my knowledge.

Yep you understood me right - and darn that annoys me - I can shift (and tend to always do these days) the focus off the half shutter and onto a back button so I was hoping one could do the same with the shutter.

Sigh - a remote release might be the key, but then I need a tripod to use it correctly - otherwise some sort of custom holding thing on the camera to hold the release in place.

If the shutter fired at the half press stage, that would disrupt EVERYTHING, and the half-press would become the quarter-press, and from there the entire ripple effect would reverberate and eventually, would disrupt the entire space-time continuum. Firearms and bosses would go off half-cocked...half-baked ideas would become quarter-baked ideas...daydreams and hopes would become mere flickering visual images, and then within weeks, would be reduced to mere feelings of deja vu, all over again!!! You are headed down a slippery slope,macro-making man!

I am not sure if Canon has a mirror-delay setting like Nikon does, where the shutter release can be pressed fully, and then the mirror will swing up and in 2 seconds, the shutter will be released,and I am not sure if that would really be useful, since it pretty much requires the photographer to hold or tripod-mount or otherwise clamp the camera steady while waiting 2 seconds for the mirror shock to dissipate....anyway...I really,really,really think you need to not worry so much about this half-pressed shutter firing thing, if only for the time-space continuum and the future of the planet...

Pfft the spacetime thingy can take it!! And if not I'll get a scotsman to fix it!

And yes canon does have that mode - mirror lockup in canon talk - sadly as you say to use it effectivly without any viewfinder image one needs to have a static subject and a totally static camera - otherwise it just does not work. The new EVIL cameras might actually allow this mode to become viable though in all honesty it might not work well enough for macro if the video output is not clear enough (its hard enough to tell with regular reflected light!).

The shutter problem though isn't much of an issue till I'm shooting springtail sized subjects at 5:1/4:1 magnification where even a little wabble leads to a missed focus :(

Actually if you get focusing off the shutter release button then you have what you are asking for. It's just that the shutter triggers when you depress the shutter button in the bottom half of the depression cycle of travel instead of the top half that no longer does anything.:mrgreen: :lmao: :mrgreen:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :lol:

Why don't you just set your timer to the 2-sec mode and then shoot in timer? Then pressing the shutter release won't cause that wobble.

Its hard enough to time shots well (with a moving subject) for instant results - I think having to wait a whole 2 seconds before the shot would drive my slowly mad ;)

Remote shutter taped to the lefthand side of your lens and press it with your left thumb sorted ;) plus back button focus

Remotes going to have to be on the right side of the setup - left hand has a lens to hold and at 5:1 its often trying to brace on the ground or attempt the lefthand brace technique (essentailly where you take hold of the stem/leave that the insect is on - thus your wabble is transmitted to the subject and thus reduces its effect - of course can run the risk of spooking said insect at the same time).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back