Settings

brian_f2.8

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Back in December I used another photographers D700. The photos are very large. I was wondering what I can change on my D3 to make my images this size. I am currently shooting jpg fine, 12bit, large quality. I would ask the photographer who owned the camera but I wont see him until next season. All the exif data is gone through bridge but this is what I can show to help out.
$Screen shot 2012-05-21 at 9.07.28 PM.jpg

12-bit means you're shooting raw. Jpegs are only 8-bit images.

Change the Jpeg Size to Medium.

nope didnt work, i tried jpg normal and i shot in a smaller size from L to M. i also tried shooting tif

Are you trying to make your file sizes larger or the pixel dimensions larger or the print size larger?

For file size, a jpeg should be around 4 megabytes of shot in Jpeg/Fine/Large.
The pixel dimensions are based on whether you choose small, medium, or large.
Print size means nothing in this case and it is based on the resolution of 72 ppi that is currently selected. That can be changed in Photoshop, Bridge, or Camera RAW. I think the default is usually 300, so since you have 72 in there, that would be why you are seeing such a large 'printed image size'.

Last edited:
trying to make the print size larger without re-sizing. this image is unedited.

I deleted the part of my post that didn't apply...please see below.
trying to make the print size larger without re-sizing. this image is unedited.

Print size means nothing in this case and it is based on the resolution of 72 ppi that is currently selected. That can be changed in Photoshop, Bridge, or Camera RAW. I think the default is usually 300, so since you have 72 in there, that would be why you are seeing such a large 'printed image size'.

Basically, my guess is he processed these for you, and used 72 as his default and that setting got embedded. The print size isn't actually bigger. It is just telling the printer to print a lower quality image at a larger size.

now it makes sense, thanks. i was confused. i thought that i was able to print these that large with that quality.

i just went to image size and changed from 300 to 72 and the pic was smaller

i just went to image size and changed from 300 to 72 and the pic was smaller

You have to unclick 'Resample Image'. By changing the DPI with that setting selected, it is actually resizing your image.

ok thanks, I appreciate your help

No problem. There are a ton of sites out there that talk about printing quality so when you get some time, you might want to do a quick search. "Pixels vs DPI" as a search should bring up the info you need.

In general, you kind of want to be at the 200 dpi range. You can get away with a lower dpi if the image will be viewed from further away. For instance, a billboard requires a much lower dpi than an image hanging in your living room.

But it should be noted, that particular adjustment doesn't actually do anything unless 'resample image' is turned on. It only tells a printer that happens to be connected at the time how to interpret the image. If you are sending it to the lab, they will ignore your settings and print it at the size you tell them to.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back