Shadows

Here goes mine.. Just an amateur attempt :)

DSC_0080copy.jpg

Pretty good, but needs more contrast, IMO, especially darker shadows. Kind of like this, although it would look better done during RAW conversion instead of on the jpg.

$Fence1.JPG

Pretty good, but needs more contrast, IMO, especially darker shadows. Kind of like this, although it would look better done during RAW conversion instead of on the jpg.

I thought about doing it darker, and when I tried, I thought it looked too dark to me. Maybe I wasn't being subtle enough with the slides. Unfortunately, my camera doesn't do RAW. Thus, it has its limitations, and I try to do my best in those bounds. :)

I thought about doing it darker, and when I tried, I thought it looked too dark to me. Maybe I wasn't being subtle enough with the slides. Unfortunately, my camera doesn't do RAW. Thus, it has its limitations, and I try to do my best in those bounds. :)

I don't know how you made it darker - if it was with a general brightness slider that lightens/darkens the whole image that's not what you want. I used Curves to darken the lower midtones (@ about 75/255) while lightening the highlights. You could do something similar with Levels, but not as well.

I don't know how you made it darker - if it was with a general brightness slider that lightens/darkens the whole image that's not what you want. I used Curves to darken the lower midtones (@ about 75/255) while lightening the highlights. You could do something similar with Levels, but not as well.

I've only worked with levels as a curve so far, unfortunately. I'm still really learning how to do things in gimp. I think my knowledge of using gimp is probably a little less better than my photos themselves. Both are a learn as you go process with a fairly large learning curve in the beginning. I'll get there eventually :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back