Shanghai

Hope_NN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I`m a complete beginner when it comes to making something that is more than just a "facebook like" shot. Even though i have been enjoying making photos for three or four years i only recently started trying to understand the know-hows of when, why and what to make photos of. Before i was rather doing it by intuition, but without a good knowledge of basics, which gave me the feeling that something is missing. That is why i am open to any critique and comments, since i am willing to learn a lot more.
Thanks in advance.

The shots were done in Shanghai with Nikon D40x/18.0-55.0 mm.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/AqQjgG]
[/url]

Welcome, Hope

Photography is engrossing but there is a technical mountain to climb and lots of background info to assimilate.
Using a very wide angle lens often induces a great deal of perspective distortion that you can see in this shot.
Is that graininess and non-natural coloration some sort of instagram filter?
I suggest that, until you get a bit more comfortable, you might want to learn how to get a better unprocessed shot before you do a lot of fancy filters to make things look interesting.

upload_2015-11-30_16-55-13.png

Thank you!
So in the first picture my biggest mistake was choosing a wrong lens, right?
Oh, the effect comes from playing with highlights, shadows and contrast in Photoshop.
The mistake for the second picture would be the same? Choosing a wide angle lens?

Welcome!

For me, the biggest issue is the odd color. Did you do any editing of these shots to make adjustments to the color?

Thank you!
Oh, the effect comes from playing with highlights, shadows and contrast in Photoshop.
The mistake for the second picture would be the same? Choosing a wide angle lens?
Not necessarily. Sometimes you want a wide angle lens for the angle of view, but some editing softwares can correct for buildings leaning in.

Welcome!

For me, the biggest issue is the odd color. Did you do any editing of these shots to make adjustments to the color?
Thank you.
Yes, i was trying to achieve an hdr-look in Photoshop, by adjusting highlights, shadows and contrast. But i guess this wasn`t a good idea

Thank you!

Not so much. You can minimize some perspective distortion when the buildings are at a distance by keeping the plane of the sensor parallel with the axis of the building and you can correct some in PS.

The perspective in the second is fine.

Just messing with shows and colors and contrast is not as productive as understanding what makes the photos look as they do and having an end in mind.

Why not post a high res version of the second without any processing and we can have a try at editing and you can see what changes are made to effect certain looks.

L

upload_2015-11-30_17-44-50.png

Welcome!

Thank you.
Yes, i was trying to achieve an hdr-look in Photoshop, by adjusting highlights, shadows and contrast. But i guess this wasn`t a good idea
Well don't say it wasn't a good idea, just maybe that you didn't get done what you wanted to do.

Most reactions

Back