She's got... Sunny Day Phobia

mrmills4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My friend REFUSES to go shoot on sunny days... WHAT IS WRONG WITH HER?! And I'm sure she's not a vampire, so we can rule that one out.

She says "it's too bright, there are hard shadow's" etc... but I love shooting when it's bright out. You have to pick and choose your shots, but I did some backyard photos one sunny day at about 10am, and the flowers were beaming with color and life. Not something I could have captured on an overcast day.

Below is a link to one of the pictures I took that day:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/photos/data/500/IMG_0231_14_of_20_.jpg

Does anyone else hate/love shooting in mid day sun?? I know the sun at dusk and dawn are the most dramatic, but I'm too addicting to shooting to only go at dusk and dawn.

My friend REFUSES to go shoot on sunny days... WHAT IS WRONG WITH HER?! And I'm sure she's not a vampire, so we can rule that one out.

She says "it's too bright, there are hard shadow's" etc... but I love shooting when it's bright out.......
It's the same mindset as those that shout from the rooftops "I only shoot in natural light, no flash for me bub." They are clearly lacking in the slightly advanced understanding of how to use camera operations and light.

Or some people just prefer soft light vs hard light.

I will not shoot a paying client in the mid day florida sun. NOPE. They can wait until closer to sunset.

Shooting flowers in the bright mid day sun is a bit different then shooting people.

at least you friends actually go out and shoot with you some days. I recently sold my 1000D to a friend and he hasn't used it once (other than taking photos of himself in the mirror with the 'fancy camera'), every time i want to go on a photowalk he turns me down (and take moar mirror pics) :grumpy:

at least you friends actually go out and shoot with you some days.

This is true. You always need someone to hold the flash!
I'm pretty lucky and have a good amount of coastal scenes to shoot. Although this will be my first winter taking photos. I'm sure a bright sun with lots of snow on the ground won't be easy to shoot. Impossible??

Yeah, you just have to keep in mind what you're looking for. Mid day shooting is a good time to get those stark, popping B&W shots. It's also a good time to shoot things that are so subtle that they get muddled in softer light. Flowers are awesome with noon light. Some architectural shots are great then. Street photography can be nice then, depending on the atmosphere you're after.

Photography is, when all is said and done, lighting. There are forced exceptions like journalism. However if the photographer is in control then the most important thing to control is the light.

If I must photograph a specific subject I will create the most appropriate lighting -- if that means using artificial light and/or modifying the light and/or mixing light and/or waiting for the light.

I often take photos now just out walking around of things that I come upon. In this case I always note the given lighting and take photos that work with that light. If I see something I'd like to photograph but the lighting is wrong, I move on.

I like morning and evening sun, midday sun, overcast, raining, indoor light and night light -- the more the better.

There is no such thing as bad light, just bad use of the light.

Amateurs look through their cameras and see the subject they are photographing, photographers see how that subject is lit.

Joe

Most reactions

Back