Shieldbug: flash but no dark background

amrannoordin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.closeupworldmacroworldtinyworld.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
C&C welcome. This is also to illustrate that you can use flash without getting those dark or black backgrounds. You can get a nice bokeh instead. Shot this about two hours ago (morning in Singapore).

shieldbug-1024x685.jpg

Beautiful shot. Excellent use of light and flash.

subject looks OOF to me... very soft.

I don't know. I am no expert in using a flash, but it almost looks like the flash didn't fire here. Was it up and to the left so there is a dark under-belly? There is a focus plane that cuts through the subject but it missed the eyes etc. Narrow DOF. Like the colors of the bug against that green background, I don't like those black backgrounds, but some folks do - matter of taste.

Yepp. Missed focus, and it's very soft. And you also don't illustrate bokeh here. There's no details at all in the background. So, no bokeh.

Mark

Agree it is soft. I have always had that problem due to my poor eyesight. Thanks.

@jrice12: Yes, the flash did fire. I am no expert on flash either :) I tend to fire with my flash angled up and not directly at the subject. One of my quirks :)
Agree that some prefer black background as a matter of taste. I guess I posted it because a few have suggested that when you use flash, the result must be black. Just showing that it doesn't have too be with slow synch and rear curtain setting etc. But I wouldn't want to force it on anyone to do what I do. Here I am just trying to follow the John Shaw school with regards to this background. Just suggesting possibilities :)

@Markw: I think you can see the bokeh in the background. Bokeh can be creamy smooth. I believe it is a matter of degree. You can see the blend of the yellowish green to green caused by the blurring. There were yellowish and green leaves in the background. I like to use this effect to remove distractions form the subject. If I want more hint of the environment, I will adjust the aperture to give a little more DOF. I agree with jrice12 that perhaps the DOF is too narrow and/or it was OOF.

Thanks all for the inputs. Very useful critique. Appreciate it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back