Shooting a destination wedding; what to put in contract?

I would think this would put the parents/guardian potentially in a situation of being responsible for any expenses incurred or anything that might happen on the trip.

To me the website seems as if it's a professional photography business but I don't know if it's legal for a minor to establish/register a business. (In my area students might work summer/after school jobs but I don't know the laws related to that.) It doesn't seem to indicate anywhere that this is a student photographer. Does the client know the age? From the picture obviously the photographer's young but it isn't possible to know the age (could be 18, 19 or 16 for that matter). If the client doesn't realize it they may have a problem with taking on any responsibility for an underage photographer.

As it stand I don't know if there would be anything to prevent the bride & groom from cancelling last minute with not having a contract, taking a deposit etc. Seems like it would be better to revise the website or wait til age 18 to use the website as-is. I don't know if there's a way to work out doing this wedding except by notifying the client of the photographer's age and having the parent/guardian sign off on doing this and being willing to take all the responsibility (covering costs not covered by the couple, insurance, etc.).

maybe you should just attend the wedding as a "guest" that they have invited along. its not uncommon for certain guests to have their accommodations paid for on out of town weddings. As a "guest", you can then take whatever pictures you plan to take, with the understanding that the bride and groom will get copies of them.
I am NOT a lawyer, so i dont know what the legal ramifications of this would be (if any), but it seems that there would be far less liability and personal responsibility for an invited "guest" taking pictures as apposed to a formally hired photographer.

I would think this would put the parents/guardian potentially in a situation of being responsible for any expenses incurred or anything that might happen on the trip.

Because the kid is a minor it's going to be like with or without a contract.

Thank you everyone for the information, it is giving me a lot of time to re think how I am going to keep my business secure. I will be 18 before the destination wedding occurs, we are having a meeting tomorrow but I can give them the contract to look over.

Both my parents are professional violinist and my father has been in the wedding industry for 30 years. He provides DJ, entertainment, quartets, trios, personal training for clients, and much more! I also have the best photography mentors in my market, they travel the world for weddings and are one of the highest end photographers locally. They are giving me a lot of feedback to on these issues.

My father and I have started a wedding business together, when I attend meetings I with bring my father since we are the owners of our wedding business. Then the wedding photography will be listed under the business, not "My name wedding photography". Then since my father is the owner of the business he would sign the contracts, however I am the the individual providing the service under our business.

Just so you guys know I am not a complete hack, I have been studying for the industry for years before I entered it. When I book with a client it is not because I have a lower price than others in the industry, it is because they trust my brand overall. And trust me, I am very specific when it comes down to clients. When I have a meeting with a client I feel is going to give me trouble I stay away from this type of trouble. Since I am just beginning my career I want to work with the perfect clients that trust me and won't be asking for more sales, or freaking out if I don't get a shot, etc. I explain to every client how I work, and they truly understand my brand as a business and a person.

Evidently I am happy you guys are discussing this to me, I really needed the wake up call for my legal issues that could occur. However since I am over delivering with my clients every time, and providing a great service I am having happy clients.

Jeremy....sounds like you have impressive credentials for someone as young as you. I think you're on the right track, and being 18 when you acutally shoot the wedding will make things easier for you. With that being said, I like the idea that you be called a 'guest' for one reason. If you're working for the couple, then you'll still be responsible for paying taxes on all of your expenses paid by said couple. If you're simply calling yourself a guest, with no business involved, your 'fee's' and expenses are being freely provided, and you should not have to worry about paying taxes on them. Other than that, and I'm no lawyer, but legal minded, I think you'll do an excellent job. Good luck to you and let us know how it goes!

Business and photography aside, I wish there were more 17-year-olds as mature and well-spoken as you. Your parents deserve a pat on the back as well for raising a fine young man!

Most reactions

Back